Stainless Oil Filter

27 replies to this topic
  • Hick

Posted February 12, 2002 - 07:57 PM

Originally posted by Dan Lawrence:
Underneath the mesh are steel supports holding the two ends together. I could get my magnet to stick there but not to the mesh itself.

Hmmmm. That's weird. Mine sticks to the mesh everywhere. I've now tried two different magnets.

I think you need a new magnet. :)

• SoCalWR426

Posted February 12, 2002 - 08:11 PM

SS filter, next big TT buy?
If not Scott's, perhaps White bros?

Put me down for one.

• b-bike

Posted February 12, 2002 - 08:43 PM

Hey guys, here is something to ponder???

There are 3 types of stainless steel. 1 Austenitic. 2 Ferritic. & 3 Martensitic. The last of which is "magnetic". Howeve its magnetisum is not as strong as that of regular mild steel. It does appear that the mesh that is being used in some of the stock filter is of the Martensitic family. (All this info. is form my Metalergy class at the Comm. College that I am currently inrolled in) :)
So lets get back to the real Question. Is the Scott filter better then the stock offting? IMHO It will be up to you... At what price do you want to protect your bike? The expence of a one time purchase of $60 - $70... (trusting that the filter is as good as advertised)-or- Changing the stocker out every 2-4 oil changes? :D :D
This is just my humble opinion. :D

• John_H

Posted February 12, 2002 - 08:53 PM

Just looking at the spare I keep in the garage (it's one I replaced but is still good) and I don't see any reason to pay more than $12. No doubt the Scott's is a fine product.

I'm wondering about this statement, "Stainless steel will stand up to the stress of heat, high pressure and physical handling much better than paper or brass."

I'm a damned Psychiatric Nurse, of all things, and not a mechanical engineer. What makes stainless steel so superior? I suspect it is very strong and probably hard to make into a fine mesh. The extra rigity may be the reason it filters better.

On the other hand, my engine doesn't have to perform to Indy type standards. $12 isn't a whole lotta money once a year either.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed

Posted February 13, 2002 - 04:14 AM

Man....Wheres the damn aerospace engineer and the nuculear fusion experts on this thread. Copying company propaganda from Scotts website does not make it the gospel truth. I like most riders have been running the piss out of my bike for two years. I change my oil every 3 rides, and have used a group of 3 stock filers (Which I rotate)and a TY Davis Magnetic Oil Drain Plug. My filter has been clean now for over a year without 1 large particle either in it or on the magnet. ALL Aftermarket parts manufacturers are out for one thing only "The Money",and thats cool, this is America....But keep in mind, If the stock oil filter was bad in any way, we would be seeing engine failures because of it...In the time since I bought my 99 and hundreads of hours spent here I have never heard of an engine being damaged or blown because of a bad stock oil filter. All this seems to be "Much To Do About Nothing" Until I see some scientific evidence, I'll have to ride with Tuner on this one.

Bonzai :)

• Ga426owner

Posted February 13, 2002 - 05:15 AM

Bonzai, didn't you know we are all nuclear fusion experts & engineers here & completely bored to be discussing filters to this degree! :)

• nebraska400

Posted February 13, 2002 - 07:03 AM

quick question then... what about the KN air and oil filters? I havent heard much mention about them. I race karts also, and KN is light years better than anything else for them.. how about their oil filter for the wr?

Posted February 13, 2002 - 07:04 PM

I just happend to have a brand new Yamaha oil filter in the box. I looked at the screen and it looks like brass and my magnet does not stick to it. It does stick to the filter frame though! I still use the Yamaha filters for my WR. But, for the KTM which uses two and are expensive I decided to go with the Scotts stainless. Plus, I am not near a KTM dealer! I do tend to replace my filters fairly offen. Not every oil change but maybe after three. On the stock filters there is rubber front and back. On the Scotts stainless there is only a little rubber ring on the front. The back side is completely stainless. For me, it was just less hassel for the KTM. As for my WR, I would have never considered the stainless as the Yamaha filters work just fine are cheap and easy for me to get. P

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.