Spark plug recommendation

2 replies to this topic
  • allilley

Posted May 13, 2007 - 11:57 AM

I have a 2000 650L and am not sure which plug I should be using. I ride both on/off road. Typically I will run 2-3 hours at highway speeds to get to where I will be riding Forest Service gravel and dirt at 15-30 mph. My Owners Manual recommends one plug as standard, one as cold weather, and one for extended high speed. Also, I only get about 35 mpg. Any thoughts, suggestions? Oh yeah, keep it simple because I am a technilogical idiot.:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • HeadTrauma

Posted May 13, 2007 - 01:49 PM

My Owners Manual recommends one plug as standard, one as cold weather, and one for extended high speed. Also, I only get about 35 mpg. Any thoughts, suggestions? Oh yeah, keep it simple because I am a technilogical idiot.:applause:

The standard plug is of course the standard plug, the "cold weather" plug is a hotter heat range, and the "extended high speed" is a colder heat range. Providing that the carb is jetted correctly, it's good if the plug is a brownish tan color. Too cold a plug will allow deposits to build up it and too hot of a plug can cause pinging

I think 35mpg is about all you can expect out of a big XR at highway speed. Wind resistance is murder with these tall offroad bikes.

• Bibleman

Posted May 13, 2007 - 02:15 PM

If I may differ on the gas mileage thing - my first tank before break in, with the richer jetting too I got 53 mpg.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.