03 yz450-Oil coming out of my camshaft exhaust?

2 replies to this topic
  • Pinstripe

Posted May 13, 2007 - 11:50 AM

I just went to fire up my 03 yz450 and it started smoking like crazy...It ended up there was oil on the exhaust causing the smoke, however the oil was spraying out of my cylinder head by the camshaft exhaust?( a vent on the upper right hand side of the head) onto the radiator then down to the exhaust pipe. I checked the oil level and was not missing any, fired it back up and rode it around a little bit and as I expected, the oil was still coming out. After it cooled down, I started it back up and put my finger over the camshaft exhaust and it quieted the engine up a little bit but continued to coat my finger in oil. I rode it yesterday and didn't notice any problems. I am a newbie to the forum and not a gearhead either. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks alot!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 13, 2007 - 12:45 PM

That is not the "camshaft exhaust". The bore through which oil is being blow out is where the manual decompression shaft once went. Originally, this was occupied by a low rent rubberized plastic plug, which you blew out. You may have something obstructing the crankcase breather. Often that turn out to be one of the metal clips that hold it to the frame below the ignition cover. Either that, or it just got tired of being there.

Either way, the two best ways of fixing it are to use an 18mm brass cup plug (freeze plug from an auto parts store), or one of These from Thumper Talk. You can also replace it with the stock one, but that's not any more permanent than it was in the first place.

• Pinstripe

Posted May 13, 2007 - 12:59 PM

YOU ROCK!! Thanks for the answer, I thought I had a much larger problem on my hands!! I'm headed to the auto parts store for a temp. fix. Have a great day!

Related Content

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.