Utah sport cycles skid plate...

8 replies to this topic
  • patriot21

Posted May 13, 2007 - 06:42 AM

Got my skid plate put on... Love the looks and no more worries... but...
anybody else notice that it almost seems like the motor is louder... or something... The skid plate must just amplify the sound of the motor.....
Also is it normal for this big 650 motor to sound like it is knocking..
i just went over the 700 mile mark... maybe the valves need to be adjusted

• mxrob

Posted May 13, 2007 - 06:56 AM

Got my skid plate put on... Love the looks and no more worries... but...
anybody else notice that it almost seems like the motor is louder... or something... The skid plate must just amplify the sound of the motor.....
Also is it normal for this big 650 motor to sound like it is knocking..
i just went over the 700 mile mark... maybe the valves need to be adjusted

This is completely normal. The skid plate reflects noise normally lost below the bike. You could try a noise deadening spray of some sort or some type of foam. Some guys have put a layer of thin rubber bonded to the plate. Maintaining the noise reduction material will probably be the biggest challenge. I'd just get used to the beautiful music of the big bore thumper.... don't worry you are riding a rock! :applause:

• jrs200

Posted May 13, 2007 - 07:39 AM

This is completely normal. The skid plate reflects noise normally lost below the bike. You could try a noise deadening spray of some sort or some type of foam. Some guys have put a layer of thin rubber bonded to the plate. Maintaining the noise reduction material will prbably be the biggest challenge. I'd just get used to the beautiful music of the big bore thumper.... don't worry you are riding a rock! :applause:

Just exactly what Rob said.
I have a moose. It did the same thing. I didn't use any foam or anything. Just got used to it. Don't even notice it anymore.
I am sure glad I have it though. Saved my frame and maybe even my case many times.

• Daddy007

Posted June 07, 2007 - 08:47 PM

I had my Dual Star/Utah Sport Cycle-style skid plate sprayed on the inside with RhinoLiner. The inner, metal contacting, surfaces of the clamps were also sprayed - taking care to protect the bolt threads.

The results are excellent. No metal-to-metal contact between the frame and any part of the skid plate or clamps. There are no vibrations with the skid plate or the skid plate and frame. The engine sound is dampened a bit by the rubbery RhinoLiner.

I got different prices for the job from different businesses. A car repair shop wanted much more than a car/truck accessorizing shop. I ended up paying around $30.00 (tax included) for one side of the plate and clamps to be sprayed.

Using RhinoLiner on at least the inner side of the skid plate seems like a nice solution to mounting after market skid plates on bikes like the DR650.

• Bikesmark

Posted June 08, 2007 - 04:39 AM

I've been a little bugged about the knocking sound on my DR after fitting the factory plate. I took it off the other night and rode it and it is much better. I don't want to be without the plate since I noticed mine was pretty nicked up after only 1500 miles....better the guard than the frame or crankcase. I ordered this:http://www.aerostich...er-p-19087.html and it's due today. I plan to stick that on there and also picked up some rubber washers from Lowes to use on the back bolts. I think this stuff will hold up pretty well and it's thick enough that I think it will have good sound deadening qualities. RE the Rhino liner stuff. I've used spray on bed liner from aute parts stores in a rattle can that works really well and builds up nicely. I'll report back on the use of the heat tape.

• Clear-a-Path

Posted June 08, 2007 - 08:23 AM

Check the rear mounting screws...they are a little long and "could" hit the case. I replaced them with shorter ones....

• NordieBoy

Posted June 08, 2007 - 11:05 PM

Undo the rear mounting bolts and take it for a ride.
Does it make it any quieter?

• Bikesmark

Posted June 11, 2007 - 11:28 AM

Update: I got the stuff from Aerostich and it wasn't what I thought it would be....I was thinking it would be thicker but it's really just very thick foil-like stuff with an adhesive back. There was enough to do 2 layers along the plate between the frame flanges and I also put rubber washers between the plate and the frame bolts in the rear(used locktite). I'd say the noise is just about dead between no plate and the unmodified one so I'm happy. Much less "knocking" sound.

• sdemondo

Posted June 11, 2007 - 04:39 PM

Just an FYI -- as of now, Jesse at kientech.com is selling the Utah skid plates.

I only found out when I ordered one today.

No, I'm not affiliated with Utah sports cycles, just happen to live here.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.