handlebar vibe fix

8 replies to this topic
  • timothypg

Posted May 13, 2007 - 04:35 AM

Sick of numb fingures. I squirt expanding foam inside the stock bars, wraped some self sticking rubber tape near the clamps on the bars and i rode all day on the roads yesterday w/no numb fingers. If you try this just take off the grips, squirt, cut off excess and there you go.

• martinfan30

Posted May 13, 2007 - 08:19 AM

that is ingenious! thanks for the tip!:applause: :applause: :p :p :p

can you show a pic of the tape? is it in the clamp holding the bar?

• Billahjack

Posted May 13, 2007 - 04:21 PM

Great Idea!

I found that the Acerbis bark busters and Renthal 7/8" bars have near zero vibration also. I believe my reduction in vibration is primarly due to adding weight to the bar ends to change the harmonics of the bars.

• martinfan30

Posted May 13, 2007 - 07:51 PM

that makes sense. i add weight to certain items on vehicles to change/reduce NVH(noise/vibration/harshness) on toyotas that i work on.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • vaughn

Posted May 14, 2007 - 09:08 AM

This is one of the primary reasons many street bikes have the large weights screwed into the end of the handlebars.

• lhark

Posted May 14, 2007 - 03:07 PM

I found that aluminum bars, in general, had lower vibration levels, especially with solid mount handguards.

• timothypg

Posted May 14, 2007 - 08:40 PM

I don't have any pictures but the tape is on the bars on the outside of the bar clamps. i just wraped it around a couple times, don't really notice it. I think the foam does the most but a little hear and there adds up.

• martinfan30

Posted May 14, 2007 - 09:00 PM

thanks timothypg. i did the expanding foam tonite but havent ridden it yet. that s*** expanded more than i thought into my throttle grip but i just cleaned it out. im looking forward to no more dumb/numb fingers! thanks again for the idea!:applause:

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted May 15, 2007 - 05:41 AM

Another vibration-reducing concept I have come across is using shot in the bars. Birdshot, buckshot, or a combination of shot sizes---supposedly the lead shot dampens, and adds mass/weight to the bars which is a known vibration aid.

Good thing about lead shot is that it is inexpensive, available, and easily 100% removable/adjustable.

Related Content

Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.