Trials rear tire on WR450F?

38 replies to this topic
  • Tough Guy

Posted May 20, 2007 - 04:05 PM

I went for a 30 mile ride today...The trials tire is great. I'll be adding one to the front soon, the grip is amazing and makes trails with logs and rocks easier.

Chris

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 20, 2007 - 07:16 PM

I've been thinking about trying one out myself, but I want a wider tire. I found a Cheng Shin C186 in a 4.5 width, which is about a 120. Since I run Maxxis IT's most of the time and they're a subsidiary of Cheng Shin, perhaps this would be doable. Another kicker is the Cheng Shin is only about $40 :)...SC

It looks like a skinny "girly" tire. But don't let that fool you. Run it at about 12lbs and it has a huge foot print on the ground and wraps itself around everything. You'll have maximum contact with the ground.

Don't look at it, just ride it.

• Jwar1r1t3

Posted May 20, 2007 - 07:28 PM

How well do they hold up in shale, coal, and very rocky terrain??

Are they better for soft sand-like coal hill climbs??

• jerryls

Posted May 21, 2007 - 09:17 PM

Here's a review I did last year on the D803: http://www.thumperta...&highlight=D803

Still loving it. Just don't race 'em.

Jerry

• gregwr450f

Posted May 22, 2007 - 02:09 AM

How well do they hold up in shale, coal, and very rocky terrain??

Are they better for soft sand-like coal hill climbs??

Better then any knobby.

• gregwr450f

Posted May 22, 2007 - 02:10 AM

note- I run my pirelli at 6psi with no problems.

• coffee

Posted May 22, 2007 - 08:56 AM

... but I want a wider tire. I found a Cheng Shin C186 in a 4.5 width, which is about a 120.....

Competition trials tires are 4.00 x 18".

They are 2 ply radial resulting in a remarkable wrap around small obstacles type grip. Not sure it the Cheng Shin is 2 ply radial...

Tough Guy - sounds like you like the tire! :)

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted May 22, 2007 - 09:31 AM

I have used IRC TR-1 trials tires off and on for years. The only place they aren't good is in sand. I always put the TR-1s on when I'm headed for hardpack or rocky areas. However, Florida sugar sand sucks with trials tires.

• XR_RON

Posted May 22, 2007 - 09:50 AM

The only thing that ive found is that when your leaned over really far,they seem to skid a little more than a knobby with lugs going over almost to the sidewalls,straight line traction is impressive,I dont see how,but it hooks up dare I say better than a knobby in some instances,maby I need my head examined.Oh,Im running a michelin X-11,its not cheap,but I feel its worth it.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Tough Guy

Posted May 22, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Competition trials tires are 4.00 x 18".

They are 2 ply radial resulting in a remarkable wrap around small obstacles type grip. Not sure it the Cheng Shin is 2 ply radial...

Tough Guy - sounds like you like the tire! :)

Yeah, so far so good. I think for lower speed technical riding they are hard to beat...I also think the trials tire is a good match for the Rekluse clutch.

Chris

• 92_YZ_250

Posted May 22, 2007 - 07:18 PM

how are trials tires for just trail riding such as logging roads, moderate hills maybe a few steep ones, maybe some wet or muddy conditions? some trails i ride can have a lot of small to mediuam and a few larger rocks how would that go? thanks

• Tough Guy

Posted May 22, 2007 - 08:24 PM

Try a trials tire, you'll like it! :)

Chris

• rx1mtnman

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:01 AM

Tough Guy, where are you located in MT? How do the trials tires work in the mub ans snow? Are you better off with a knobby in these conditions?

• rx1mtnman

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:01 AM

OOPS! Make that mud and snow...

• Tough Guy

Posted May 29, 2007 - 07:14 PM

I am in Hamilton, I only have around 100 miles on the rear tire so far. It has performed better so far than the nobby it replaced.

Chris

• Tough Guy

Posted June 09, 2007 - 06:11 PM

I have over 200 miles on the trials tire now...The leading edges of the tread are starting to round, but otherwise the tire looks to be in perfect condition. I have been running ~10psi and it sticks like glue to the ground. I have been climbing stuff I didn't think was possible, and my bike is a tractor in the slow steep technical grinding mountain terrain. The ride is fantastic, I will probably not use a nobby again in the rear.

Chris

• dl19

Posted June 09, 2007 - 07:18 PM

I have a friend who just installed both front and rear Dunlop Trials tires on his DRZ400. He replaced his stock tires. I and he were absolutely amazed at how much traction he got. Last ride he could barely go through even a few inches of snow, but this time was riding across drifts and digging through the soft stuff. I used to ride right up tight, because his stocker had not traction and nothing flew up. The trials did not throw rocks like a knobby, but it threw enough and actually seemed to grip better. He did not want to try a couple hills because he worried about traction (based on stock tires). He smoked up them like he had the baddest knobby on. I have some tires to use up but I will try one for sure when I need a new rear tire. He felt a knobby on the front would grip better in multi-terrain.

• Tough Guy

Posted July 20, 2007 - 08:40 PM

I have just over 400 miles on my trials tire now...it stills works great and appears to be at its half-life. I want to turn the tire around on the rim to regain a fresh edge. If you ride woods and enjoy traction, a trials tire will work great for you.

Chris

• waterdirt

Posted July 21, 2007 - 06:46 AM

the D 803's are a great choice. For $80 they're pretty cheap! turned my 07 wr450 into a tractor!

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.