650L front end rattle

19 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted May 12, 2007 - 03:44 PM

I have a metallic rattle sound on the front of my bike. I don't think it's the skid plate and I'm sure it's not the engine since the sound is the same whether the clutch is in or out and it only does it on rough ground. Also, if I shake the forks back and forth when I'm off the bike I can duplicate it. There's not much to check out that moves when you shake the fork and I think I've covered everything. Think it could be one or both of the springs in the fork rattling around?

• goblin127

Posted May 12, 2007 - 03:56 PM

You don't have anything hanging from your key by any chance?

• Bibleman

Posted May 12, 2007 - 04:42 PM

Excellent question! That's another rattle:busted: Even without the keys it does it. It's not loud at all and I only notice it at low speeds and without my earplugs in.

• goblin127

Posted May 12, 2007 - 05:10 PM

I just delt with that one after I added a key to one of those disc brake locks to my bike key. Real hard plastic,sounds nasty.

• gregman_1

Posted May 12, 2007 - 05:25 PM

Put the bike up on a crate or stand (get the weight off the front end) and slowly turn the steering back and forth and note if there's any notchiness towards the center. If there is, your steering head bearings are on the way out.

• Bibleman

Posted May 12, 2007 - 07:04 PM

Thanks for the help Gregman, but it's only got 320 miles on it so far. I'm pretty sure it's a spring since even my son finds it hard to pinpoint. When your ear is toward the top it sounds like it's coming from the bottom and vice versa. No biggie, I just thought if it was a common thing someone would know for sure. BTW, I should have entitled this thread "front end tinkling sound" but it didn't sound manly.

• Mickey XR650L

Posted May 12, 2007 - 07:24 PM

You might check the clutch lever --mine rattles, and with the stock exhaust is pretty loud.

• NMike

Posted May 12, 2007 - 09:43 PM

when i had mine, the clutch and brake levers drove me nut from the noises they made.

• Bibleman

Posted May 13, 2007 - 03:57 AM

I checked the levers, but I'm still suspicious of them. I'll double check.

• kelleyseiler

Posted May 13, 2007 - 07:36 AM

I have the same thing! I can never find it though. I have it most when I cross a bumpy surface like railroad tracks or something like that. It sounds as though there is something loose. But cant find anything.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bibleman

Posted May 13, 2007 - 08:54 AM

Aha! I'm not nuts! Well, maybe just a little:bonk:

• GIANTac1

Posted May 13, 2007 - 03:22 PM

Mine also rattles. I think it is coming from the speedo cluster. When I put my hand on it while riding it seems to stop or soften the noise.

• Bibleman

Posted May 13, 2007 - 05:22 PM

The instrument cluster is where my ear always gravitates, but as I mentioned, when I put my ear there it immediately sounds like it's coming from down the forks somewhere. That's why I think it's the spring(s).

• pianoexcellence

Posted May 15, 2007 - 09:24 AM

• mrazekan

Posted May 15, 2007 - 09:51 AM

My cross bar on my handlebar was making noise until I tightened it. Just another suggestion.

• xrltim

Posted May 15, 2007 - 04:02 PM

Put the bike up on a stand and take the front wheel off. See if it's still there. Your springs should not rattle at all since theoretically they are under some tension all the time. If they aren't you'll have a sloppy front end feel on choppy bumps where the front end comes off the ground a bit periodically. Could be part of your headlight assy. or the horns loose, or something in your bars?? Beat the hell out of it on a nasty trail and see what breaks....

• JUNIOR650

Posted May 15, 2007 - 04:17 PM

When I went to take my front wheel off to install rim locks, most of the four screws that hold the bracket for the axle bolt were loose. I'm glad I found out when I did!

• Bibleman

Posted May 15, 2007 - 05:35 PM

Amen to that!

• tomb1957

Posted May 17, 2007 - 05:03 PM

You need a louder exhaust.

• martinfan30

Posted May 17, 2007 - 08:47 PM

You need a louder exhaust.

just turn up the radio!:)

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

Which thumper motor for a street tracker? by woz

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • * * * * -
  • Hot  29 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.