Tall bars

11 replies to this topic
  • responding

Posted May 12, 2007 - 01:32 PM

About 3 mo ago, I purchased an '02 WR426. It's practically never been ridden i'm guessing (the frame is still shiny blue by the pegs).
Well, I put it through the ringer, and today I bent the bars. I'm 6'4, 250lbs, and pretty new, but push myself really hard, to get better, faster, and in shape. I have researched the forums, and found that I should probably go to the lowboy pegs, higher seat, and higher bars. It looks like bars made for an 80cc, or Pastrana FMX bars would be appropriate replacements. What I'm wanting to know is, if I need to replace the tripple clamps, or if the adapters for "fat boy" bars are strong and safe to use, or if the bars made for an 80 are strong enough to take some serious abuse. (or if the Pastrana bars are made in a standard bar for WR's) My wife gives me little money to play with, so I have to keep it low cost for now. Any suggestions would help! Thanks!!

• snaggletooth

Posted May 12, 2007 - 01:45 PM

What kind of bars did you bend?

• responding

Posted May 12, 2007 - 01:51 PM

From what I can tell, it is a totally stock bike. Has the free mods done, and I just did the gray wire, but otherwise box stock. I do not like the feel of it when standing... feels like the bars are connected to my knees. The huge tank doesn't help the feel, but I tend to ride a full tanks worth of gas out of it every saturday, and a couple gallons during the week, so I'll have to keep that. It's real nice to go out for a day and not have to go back to the truck to fuel anyway.

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 12, 2007 - 02:58 PM

If you don't want to bend bars anymore, get a Pro Taper bar, you can use stock upper clamp and get a set of fat bar adapters from Applied, Moose, etc... anyway these alone will raise your bars then go out and get a set of Pastrana or Windham bend bars, I think they even have woods bends... I'm 6'3' and this has always been a good combo... Throw in a GUTS racing tall seat and you are good to go:thumbsup:
http://trav.smugmug....669348#28881787

• responding

Posted May 12, 2007 - 03:56 PM

Wow!!! that riding looks intense!:applause: I would love to attack some of the trails you've been on. Maybe if I get up that way, I can look you up. Thanks for the advice. The bar adapters scare me, because they look like a really weak point, but I guess enough bikes run 'em so they must be OK. Do you run the Lowboy pegs? I seem to case alot on rocks, and can feel them hit my stock pegs, so I'm leary there, but I need to get some heavier springs anyway... maybe that would make the low pegs ok? Anyway, I really do appreciate your advice, and will look further into the adapters.

• trailordune

Posted May 12, 2007 - 10:29 PM

If you don't want to bend bars anymore, get a Pro Taper bar, you can use stock upper clamp and get a set of fat bar adapters from Applied, Moose, etc... anyway these alone will raise your bars then go out and get a set of Pastrana or Windham bend bars, I think they even have woods bends... I'm 6'3' and this has always been a good combo... Throw in a GUTS racing tall seat and you are good to go:thumbsup:
http://trav.smugmug....669348#28881787

Nice pics. Gotta love the moss on a cool dry day! Fellow Western Washingtonian.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • SJMC_DON

Posted May 13, 2007 - 08:37 AM

Wow!!! that riding looks intense!:applause: I would love to attack some of the trails you've been on. Maybe if I get up that way, I can look you up. Thanks for the advice. The bar adapters scare me, because they look like a really weak point, but I guess enough bikes run 'em so they must be OK. Do you run the Lowboy pegs? I seem to case alot on rocks, and can feel them hit my stock pegs, so I'm leary there, but I need to get some heavier springs anyway... maybe that would make the low pegs ok? Anyway, I really do appreciate your advice, and will look further into the adapters.

I meant to just post the pic of my 04' from the back so you could see the bar and seat height, those pics are from a place called "Reiter", IMHO one of the more technical places I've ever ridden, (been riding there for 35 years now:eek: ).. up here in the PNW I would never run the lowered pegs, my feet get hammered enough on all the rocks... Springs YES, YES, YES, if you are at 230lbs, you need heavier springs, it will make a huge difference..

Definitely look me up if your up this way, I'll take you up to Reiter, just bring extra underwear :applause:

Oh... I have never had a problem with the fat bar adapters and I have run them for years on 2 different WR's

• DRS

Posted May 13, 2007 - 09:46 AM

i have the pastrana fmx bars and they are nice.. very tall and great in the tight stuff.

• xrmarty

Posted May 13, 2007 - 12:10 PM

got pastranas here too.

• oldbones

Posted May 13, 2007 - 08:38 PM

I ride an '02 WR426 also. I'm only about 6'1", but had the same feeling you describe about the bars hitting you in the knees. The fat bar adapters will raise the bars, but also bring them back about 1/2" closer to your lap because of the angle. I finally found the answer at w w w . bar risers online . com (TT makes me type it that way, you have to take out all the spaces) I have been running them for about three years now and absolutely love the change in position. Puts you out over the front of the bike where you should be.

I forgot, but did you mention a YZ style seat and tank? If you don't have that mod, I would seriously recommend it, the '02 WR seat and tank suck balls.

I tried the low peg mod, and almost broke my foot a few times. Then I got a pair of fastway pegs and never looked back.

Have fun!

• WildRide

Posted May 14, 2007 - 06:42 PM

First I got some ProTaper SE Windam bars and then some cheapo bar riser blocks for even more rise and the SE bars are much stronger than the stockers even though they are just 7/8".

• kskyles

Posted May 15, 2007 - 12:11 PM

i've got some tusk bar risors/adapters and the pro-taper woods hi bend bars.

it's been a great setup, and it didn't cost me that much.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.