Don't wast money on a shock spring tool...

5 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted May 12, 2007 - 04:48 AM

unless you plan on taking lots of your bike apart. The parts guy at the Honda dealership talked me into a 17$ spanner wrench and it wouldn't come close to fitting in there. I used the screwdriver and plastic hammer routine and it worked pretty well. I hope there aren't any bearings on either end of the shock that could have gotten damaged by the twisting force of the hammer blows though:excuseme:

• Agent2

Posted May 12, 2007 - 06:57 AM

Hammer and large punch has always worked for me - besides I'm way too cheap to buy a tool I'm only going to use once a year or so...

• nate992v

Posted May 12, 2007 - 08:47 AM

I have about three of those spanner wrenches from the tool kits that come with bikes. Unless the shock is off of the bike, they're useless. Just not enough room in there. It makes it easier if you spray some WD-40 on the treads to lubricate them a bit. It seems to help than trying to adjust it dry.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Bibleman

Posted May 12, 2007 - 10:52 AM

I thought of the WD 40 idea too........AFTER I did the adjustment:cry:

• XR680RR

Posted May 12, 2007 - 02:46 PM

With the bike on a stand, rear tire off, mud guard off, once you break the lock nut free and spin it in the clear, you can grab the spring with both hands and spin the whole spring. The spring nut will fallow. At about the point that you are about done being able to spin it any tighter you are close to race sag. If you do it enough for years you fly right past race sag and have to losen it back up. If the spring nut is seized of course you have to take the shock off.

• Thumpmeister

Posted May 12, 2007 - 09:17 PM

What worked well for me, is the Drag Specialties adjustable spanner. I was tired of not having the right spanner for the job, so I talked to a guy that runs a perfomance shop, and he reccommended the Drag Specialties one. Works GREAT, and doesn't cost a whole lot either. Plus, you can adjust just about any sized shock with it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.