what carburetor on 1979 yamaha dt100?

4 replies to this topic
  • Drew2

Posted May 11, 2007 - 06:13 PM

I just picked up a 1979 yamaha dt100 and the carburetor is flooding so the bike runs quite poorly. It has a mikuni carb but i cant find a model number anywhere on it. Does anyone know what model carburetor this is so that i can look up a schematic online? Haven't been able to order a service manual yet. What should i look for that would be causing it to flood?

• zuk931

Posted May 11, 2007 - 06:22 PM

hey buddy, check your floats. tap on the bottom of carb with the handle of a screw driver. the floats could be sticking. if that dont work, remove the float bowl cover and check the float needle valve to see if it moves up and down. you may have to remove the float valve and replace the little o-ring that lies under neath. then after u put it back together hold carb upside down, then turn to a 45 degree angle and see if your floats are level. if not, bend the little tab that sets on the float valve up or down to make them level. this is a old school way to set these. help this helps u out. but to me it is your floats sticking, causeing it to flood out.

• thafreek86

Posted May 13, 2007 - 10:02 AM

Hey I also just picked up a 79' enduro too... sounds kinda like the same thing maybe except my bike won't start at all and when i turn the gas valve on gas pours out of a lil hose on the bottom of my carburator... I think I can do mechanically what I need but I don't have the knowledge of what I'm doing... I need HELP!!

• 05dr650

Posted May 13, 2007 - 01:32 PM

I bought a 1978 DT 175 once. When I turned the fuel on it did the same thing. I took it apart and the liitle needle was gone. Check there first, and give the carb a great cleaning.

• thafreek86

Posted May 13, 2007 - 01:38 PM

i just took my carb apart because i figured rust clogged something and it was all clean inside.... so i don't think i'm having a problem gettin fuel to my spark.. i think i might be having a problem electrically with my spark... it doesn't look very strong

Related Content

Forums
Photo

What should I get for my next bike? by JHodel20

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 20 replies
Forums
Photo

the irreplaceable carb gasket/oring by Hutch1

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • Hot  45 replies
Forums
Photo

Yz250 crank shaft flywheel stripped problem! by jacob_buttery

• 6 replies
Forums
Photo

93 yz 80 crank bearings out by Wheelierider3

• 2 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ250 2013 by MXRider72

Yamaha YZ250 2013
  • 4 reviews
  • Last review by phantom451
  • On August 10, 2014

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

RegisterSign InClose
If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.