Grips too long?

2 replies to this topic
  • Bibleman

Posted May 11, 2007 - 06:10 PM

I just got a set of gel grips from the Honda dealer and they are about a half inch longer than stock. This means on both the clutch and throttle sides they will hang off the bars. Is this normal? :applause: If the brand is important I can go see what they are but right now I'm very comfortable on the couch:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CTXr650L

Posted May 12, 2007 - 03:25 AM

hmmm :applause: on the clutch side you could always just move the lever in a little, but if the grip is 1/2" longer than your throttle tube i dont know how to remedy that.

• Bibleman

Posted May 12, 2007 - 04:45 AM

OK, well I searched around on the internet and I found that there are at least three different length grips out there - 4 1/2, 4 5/8 and 5 inches. Of course, mine are 5 inches and the bike obviously takes one of the shorter ones. I thought of moving the clutch lever in but then you have to cut the nub off the controls and you still have a problem with the throttle as you said. BUT, with these nice gushy gel grips I noticed that you can push them on and slightly bunch them up and the Honda glue would hold them that way. So in the end I have fatter and softer grips which is exactly what I wanted:busted: . Very little if any extra grip hangs over the end of the bars.
But keep in mind when looking for grips that the length could be an issue especially with stiffer grips.:applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 2 replies
Forums
Photo
Supercross

Supercross Preview 2017 Part 1: Championship Contenders by Chris Cooksey

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  148 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.