Is the WR426 the bike for me?

9 replies to this topic
  • lancerplayer

Posted May 11, 2007 - 04:10 PM

Just sold my '03 Yamaha YZ125 and am looking for a new bike. I'm 17 5'8" 150lbs and used the 125 for woods riding only. I consider myself an intermediate rider. I really didn't like the whole 2 stroke thing and the high maintenece of a race bike. I am looking for trail bikes and thought I had my mind set on a XR250R at a good price, but I stumbled upon a 2002 Yamaha WR426 and came here to get more info.

What I want is a bullet-proof bike. I want to be able to go out on a ride, ride all day and not have to worry about anything failing. I don't want a high maintenece bike. I don't want to be checking valves and the pistion every X hrs. I just want something I can add gas, change the oil, clean the air filter and ride and have a blast. Is the Yamaha WR426 the bike for me?

• don319

Posted May 11, 2007 - 04:26 PM

It's for you! If you change the oil and keep the filters clean, it will run a good long time. I have an 02 WR426 that I just replaced with a new WR450.
Valves have never needed adjusting! I check them in the spring and fall and they are in the middle of the range. I see you live in Ohio. My 426 is for sale.
Regards
Don

• lancerplayer

Posted May 11, 2007 - 04:35 PM

It's for you! If you change the oil and keep the filters clean, it will run a good long time. I have an 02 WR426 that I just replaced with a new WR450.
Valves have never needed adjusting! I check them in the spring and fall and they are in the middle of the range. I see you live in Ohio. My 426 is for sale.
Regards
Don

I sent you a PM. I'm looking for the bike that I will have the most fun on and also be reliable.

• Pooley

Posted May 11, 2007 - 05:33 PM

The WR is a great bike. Bulletproof motor, with regular things like oil and such, the maintenance is minimal. Nothing lasts forever, but the Yamahas seem to last a very long time. Even the dreaded "4 stroke starting drill" is not a worry with proper jetting. With just fresh gas, my 01 WR426 started on the second kick this spring after sitting for almost a year.

• xrmarty

Posted May 11, 2007 - 09:24 PM

The XR line is absolutely bullet proof. They seem to run forever with only oil and filter changes. Just look at your local classified ads--you will almost never see one with "rebuilt top end" or "fresh motor", and that's because it takes literally decades to wear these sockers out. Easy maintanence too. They have a plush suspension for mellow trail riding, if your a beginner to intermediate rider. However they are bikes of the past. The XR's are known for being some of the most UNDERpowered bikes ever built, especially the 250. The suspension is waaaaaay inferior to the WR. This becomes more apparent as your skills improve. I rode a '99 WR400 once and that bike ripped compairing to the XR 400 (which I still own). The 99 felt so much more flickable than my old but trusty XR. And, that nibbleness you will miss, especially since your coming off a 125

The WR is more of a "new generation" trail bike, even if it is an older model like the 400 or 426. They got the torque you will love for trail riding. In summary, I would not give a second thought to the XR. Go Blue!:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • yamaha426rider

Posted May 11, 2007 - 11:13 PM

Hopped off a xr 600 bin riding few years bought a friends plated 02 wr 426
love the bike perfect for woods & desert riding change the oil,clean air filter
every 2 rides & no probs.........:applause:

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 11, 2007 - 11:30 PM

At 150lbs that 426 will feel real heavy after a while. The xr250 is heavy also, but the rotating mass of the 450 will be noticeable.

Why not look for a wr250 at your size?

• TeamScream

Posted May 13, 2007 - 10:21 PM

Just sold my '03 Yamaha YZ125 and am looking for a new bike. I'm 17 5'8" 150lbs and used the 125 for woods riding only. I consider myself an intermediate rider. I really didn't like the whole 2 stroke thing and the high maintenece of a race bike. I am looking for trail bikes and thought I had my mind set on a XR250R at a good price, but I stumbled upon a 2002 Yamaha WR426 and came here to get more info.

What I want is a bullet-proof bike. I want to be able to go out on a ride, ride all day and not have to worry about anything failing. I don't want a high maintenece bike. I don't want to be checking valves and the pistion every X hrs. I just want something I can add gas, change the oil, clean the air filter and ride and have a blast. Is the Yamaha WR426 the bike for me?

I have 2 and they are about as "bullet proof" as you will find ANY bike to be.
A slight bit heavier than the newer ones but once you get on it you will enjoy the hell out of it.

• Tough Guy

Posted May 14, 2007 - 04:23 PM

At 150lbs that 426 will feel real heavy after a while. The xr250 is heavy also, but the rotating mass of the 450 will be noticeable.

Why not look for a wr250 at your size?

Ditto on that.....WR250F would be a better fit.

Chris

• mikey m

Posted May 16, 2007 - 06:29 PM

i have 01 wr426 .only complaint is its heavy. just got 450x ,night and day diff. heard new wrs are pretty light

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.