Chain rubbing inside of frame and sub

23 replies to this topic
  • Greenroom

Posted May 11, 2007 - 10:51 AM

Is anyone haveing this problem with the 07? I have adjusted the chain to specs but it has rubbed the subframe pretty bad. The chain appears to be junk and has a good 1 1/2" lateral movement. Maybe there is a frame gaurd for this? I would think the YZ guys would have seen this already. :applause:

• WGP

Posted May 11, 2007 - 11:08 AM

Sounds like it is not aligned properly?

remember that the left chain block has 2 less hash marks....

If thats not it, tighten it up a little...

• gregwr450f

Posted May 11, 2007 - 01:37 PM

WR's have done it for years, cable/zip tie some hose on the frame, do not over tighten your chain.
I'm not aware of any frame guard for it.

• Greenroom

Posted May 11, 2007 - 02:25 PM

I was unaware of the difference in blocks. Good info guys thanks.

• dl19

Posted May 11, 2007 - 07:59 PM

Been going on for years, and it has never been determined the cause. Yamaha does not even know it is a problem according to them. Hose will work but you will be changing it often. Built my shield out of SS sheet. Several posts on here about this. Don't tighten the chain run it at spec.

• mightymart

Posted March 05, 2008 - 12:58 PM

Anyone got any pics of a made up guard to stop this ? I have looked on a search but all the pictures have been deleted ?

• Rich_in_Orlando

Posted March 05, 2008 - 01:22 PM

Welcome to the club.

• tweav

Posted March 05, 2008 - 07:59 PM

Mine did it when my axel was not tight enough. so now I make it real tight and it has not done that since Like 100 ft lbs or so

• dazzabb

Posted March 05, 2008 - 08:10 PM

Although mine is an 05, not an 07 it's the same old problem.

I got some liquid metal and added that carefully to the back of the frame where the chain rubbed. It added about 5mm extra in thickness to the back of the frame.

This stuff is pretty strong and has prevented any more frame damage in the last 9 months.

There are plenty of posts on this, I posted some photos and got good ideas from other TT'ers.

Search for the post Post : Photo's of subframe munching by chain

• CORider63

Posted March 05, 2008 - 08:19 PM

I used a stainless steel electrical box blank cover, then cut off the curved edges with a air cut-off tool and formed it into a U-shaped plate and cable-tied it around the subframe. I later added a short piece of 3/4" x 1/4" aluminum strap under it to move the guard closer to the chain to keep it from hitting the main frame, as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • TRUE_2_YAMAHA_001

Posted March 05, 2008 - 11:09 PM

my 02, my uncles 00 and my dads 07, or my little bros 05 have ever had that problem. i have never heard of that eather. i will have to double check all of the bikes.

• redswr

Posted March 06, 2008 - 12:54 AM

i just noticed it on my 07... kinda makes me mad since i spent alot of time polishing it out.

• mightymart

Posted March 06, 2008 - 02:05 AM

Although mine is an 05, not an 07 it's the same old problem.

I got some liquid metal and added that carefully to the back of the frame where the chain rubbed. It added about 5mm extra in thickness to the back of the frame.

This stuff is pretty strong and has prevented any more frame damage in the last 9 months.

There are plenty of posts on this, I posted some photos and got good ideas from other TT'ers.

Search for the post Post : Photo's of subframe munching by chain

thanks

• crooks420

Posted April 26, 2008 - 11:53 AM

This is what I made for my 05 WR 450F:
Posted Image

Jesse

• mightymart

Posted May 25, 2008 - 12:27 PM

Heres my rubbing !!! & The new inner guards I have made, Used them today & work fine (Well there still there :thumbsup: ) They are made out of stainless steel pipe bash flat & bent into shape. Just hope it works ok. Most of the frame rubbing was done before I got the bike but I have always adjusted the chain to spec & after today I couldnt see any rubbing on the stainless, But I will have a more closer inspection in the week.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

• mightymart

Posted June 16, 2008 - 02:03 PM

Attn dezrtracr, I tried to pm you but your inbox is full ! the part number for the WR 07 frame guards is 5TJ-W07040-00-00

• grayracer513

Posted June 16, 2008 - 02:51 PM

This problem primarily stems from poor alignment of the rear wheel, although it will still occur to some degree even with everything in good order. Under coast situations, the top run of chain is slack, and runs off of the rear sprocket in whatever direction it is pointed. It can then either hit the frame directly, or run out of lateral slack and whip back the opposite direction and hit it that way.

Even given that you read the blocks from back to front, as you should because the drive side block has a ledge on the front of it, the blocks or swing arm marks are not necessarily dependable. It is best to qualify them by doing a precise check once to see if there is any difference from one side to the other by clmaping a straightedge to the rear sprocket, setting the drive side block dead center on any mark, aligning the wheel, and checking where the off side is. Once you know this difference, if any, you can dial it into any future chain adjustments.

http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=548940

Nice little frame guards, though.

• mightymart

Posted June 16, 2008 - 11:41 PM

I have alignment the rear wheel spot on & the slack on the chain is bang on too, I have even tried do the measureing thing where you measure the front sprocket to the rear sprocket or something like that & it gives you the correct slack, But that still came up the same as yamahas spec (48mm I think).
Looking at my made up stainless steel guards I still have wear after 2 outings, I am fitting new sprockets & chain today as they are worn, so I will see how that goes.
Keep you informed.

• dl19

Posted June 20, 2008 - 05:46 PM

It is not an alignment thing, axle block, or what ever else might cause the issue thing. Yes the ideas are correct on other bikes, but these just have a flaw in the clearance specs. This is a factory defect thing on most WR's that are having chain hits. You can try lasers, rods, tape measures, gadgets, widgets, gizmos, and anything else you want and it will spec out perfectly in line. Adjust the chain to perfection. Tape up the frame and in no time have new marks.Many have it and many don't. Build guards (mine from sheet SS) and forget about it or chew things up. Yamaha Corp. won't do anything about it, and if you have a great dealer there is nothing they can do no matter how hard they try. Just like Dodge Diesels loosing 5th gear around 150k. It is just going to happen.

• KennyMc

Posted June 20, 2008 - 06:39 PM

How does one explain not having an issue. My bike's sub frame looks about as good as when I got it a 1 1/2 years ago.:thumbsup: I am not complaining, just wondering.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.