1986 Xl600r

3 replies to this topic
  • NY_SXR700

Posted May 11, 2007 - 07:57 AM

Hello, I am new to this forum and new to my first bike. It's an 86' XL600R that is in pretty good shape. I know the past 2 owners and for $800.00 I could not pass it up. It has under 10,000 miles on it and has sat for the past 3 years.

I have done 3 oil changes and 1 filter change so far, to get the old stuff out (125 miles on it since I started riding it 3 weeks ago). I pulled the fuel filters and petcock for cleaning. I pulled the twin carbs last night because it does not like to idle very well. In that process I folowed the Clymer book and checked the jet sizes. I should have 118 main on the pri carb and 115 on the sec carb. I should also have a 62 pilot and I have a 65. I also noticed that the fuel screw needle was missing the washer and O-ring which I replaced last night also. My question is, are these jet sizes the correct sizes for upstate NY for normal on-off road riding? I pulled the plug and it was not bad it had white ash on it, not lean but not on the rich side. The jets in it are fatter so I feel safe there and it's not popping. The fuel screw was also set at 2.5 turns out and the book calls for 1.5. I set the screw with the new O-rin and washer to 1.5 and the bike has much more snap on the low end now. It still starts VERY hard and does not want to idle at the normal idle speed. I can't think of anything I missed so I am asking in here to see if you guys can help me out. tks Doug

• COAL RUN

Posted May 11, 2007 - 08:36 AM

There is a starting procdure on those bikes, Pull the comcompresion lever, kick is 3-4 times, then slowly cycle through kicking motion till you have it on the comcompresion stroke (should be about half way thru the kicking motion) Then kick it. should start in a couple kicks. If you are not doing this give it a try. I have an 1987 XL600R & it starts in 1-2 kicks

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • COAL RUN

Posted May 11, 2007 - 08:44 AM

There is a starting procdure on those bikes, Pull the comcompresion lever, kick is 3-4 times, then slowly cycle through kicking motion till you have it on the comcompresion stroke (should be about half way thru the kicking motion) Then kick it. should start in a couple kicks. If you are not doing this give it a try. I have an 1987 XL600R & it starts in 1-2 kicks

• NY_SXR700

Posted May 11, 2007 - 09:15 AM

Thanks, I find on a cold start, after sitting over night. I leave the key off and choke on decomp in and kick 10x. Then key on / choke on and she fires on the first kick. The problem, after it's warm and you stop for a break or you stall it. It's a BEAST to get fired if it does not start on the first attempt. I have not had a chance to test it out with the new screw setting at 1.5 turns since I have not ridden it other than a test ride down the street last night. I really wish it just ran better with a low idle speed. Thanks, Doug

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  43 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

• 22 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.