xr650r 3/4 throttle problem(hesitation)

6 replies to this topic
  • mattymurn

Posted May 10, 2007 - 11:04 PM

I have a 05 xr650r with a yoshimura header/exhaust and a uni airfilter with a couple of the round vents in the cover.

It starts really easily, 1st or 2nd kick, does not pop on decel and the plug is nice and tan.

the problem I have is when rolling on the power at around 3/4 throttle the bikes seems to hesitate for a bit, then it smooths out as more throttle is added.

I don't know the jetting in this bike as I figured if it ain't broke, (except for the hesitation it runs really well)

I am at sea level, what would be a starting point for sorting this out..

• Thumpmeister

Posted May 11, 2007 - 12:56 AM

Seems like something might be sticking... Try cleaning the carb out, and see if that might make a difference...

If that does nothing, try adjusting your main (bigger) or needle...

• bigtooth

Posted May 11, 2007 - 07:44 AM

My bike came with a 68s and 175 main. I am around 1000 ft, the bike looked to be running a bit rich, and it had the same hesitation you mentioned. Mine seemed to almost sputter a bit at 3/4, then would settle out.

I had the UNI filter and the stock tip drilled out with a 2 in hole saw. I found that I was able to open up the exhaust tip by cutting the enclosed end off the inside of the tip and covered it with screen. Anyway, this seemed to lean up the mixture just enough to get rid of that hesitation. I have not checked my plug yet, but the bike runs alot better.....and faster.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • JackAttack

Posted May 11, 2007 - 07:46 AM

Try 172 main.

That is what I ran at 1000ft/70 F.

Uncorked, UNI,Holes in Side cover, White E-series.

• mattymurn

Posted May 11, 2007 - 10:41 AM

thanks for the replies,

Bigtooth, you mentioned opening up the tip, to lean it out a bit, what I did do was add a yosh quiet insert, which I think would restrict a bit more than the way it was originally. I wanted to quiet the bike down a bit. I wonder if i pulled the quiet insert out if that would help.

• hill5150

Posted May 11, 2007 - 11:20 AM

Sounds like needle and main............

• DiabloCaballo

Posted May 11, 2007 - 10:15 PM

This may sound weird, but check your valves while you have it apart if you haven't done so recently. A couple of thousanths makes a big diff in the higher rpms. Other than that it sounds like you need a little more air flow on the intake side.

Related Content

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 17 replies

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

FCR40 Tuning Woes- XR600R by aTuWitty

• Hot  37 replies

Can anyone identify this xr600 piston? by ms_mtn24

• 4 replies

What was your path to Beta? by officialhopsof

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Beta
  • Hot  79 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.