Moose drain plug

10 replies to this topic
  • StapleJ

Posted February 07, 2002 - 05:03 AM

I replaced my drain plug with (I believe) a Moose drain plug. Now I hardly ever see any shavings on it. Is the Ty Davis plug magnet strong enough to make a difference?? Is it worth changing??
I am hoping I don't see shavings because of my rigorous oil changing practice...

Thanks

• crazyadam

Posted February 07, 2002 - 05:23 AM

SWITCH NOW!!!!
I have a moose plug buried in my toolbox somewhere, but it won't even hold itself up!! (or hold a picture to the side of my box) throw it away and get a real magnet. Trust me, it's worth the 11 bucks!
:)
www.thumper-racing.net part # m0103

P.S. I saw a pic of the ty plug holding an entire cam shaft! so it will hold any chucnks, or chips that could be in the oil.

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: crazyadam ]

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: crazyadam ]

• StapleJ

Posted February 07, 2002 - 06:38 AM

Crazyadam,

thanks for the brutal truth. I have been suspectful that this magnet was not enough. I also saw this add, and quickly remebered how my magnet wouldn't barely stick to the frame...I guess I've been in denial.

Steve...if you're reading this, I bought one of these for your 426...you can thank me later! We'll plan on a replacement next oil change.

• yzernie

Posted February 07, 2002 - 07:19 AM

http://www.ziptyracing.com

I have used his plugs for years and would NEVER use anything else. They are the strongest little magnet Ihave ever seen. Very worth while investment.

Ernie

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: yzernie ]

• mcarp

Posted February 07, 2002 - 07:41 AM

Staple-

I'm in the same boat. My moose plug works OK, but not many shavings are showing up anymore.

Just ordered the Ziptyracing plug...

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Scarylong

Posted February 07, 2002 - 07:47 AM

I have a moose plug buried in my toolbox somewhere, but it won't even hold itself up!! (or hold a picture to the side of my box) throw it away and get a real magnet. Trust me, it's worth the 11 bucks!

Where are you getting them for $11?
Looks closer to $20 after shipping to me.
Thanks.

• MOmilkman

Posted February 07, 2002 - 08:41 AM

I was just thinking of getting one of these for myself.

I also would like to know where they are avialable for $11!!!

[ February 07, 2002: Message edited by: MOmilkman ]

• wayneoXCF

Posted February 07, 2002 - 01:56 PM

I said this before, the ZipTy plug is prob the strongest magnetic plug out there. It can hold a full can of Fosters! Well, it was almost full anyway! :)

• crazyadam

Posted February 07, 2002 - 02:03 PM

I got the Ty plug from thumper- racing for $11, but also bought the E-Line Carbon skid plate and a few other goodies as well... But that was last year .. :) inflation
it was less $ than my shipping, so it was $ well spent!

• AZWR426

Posted February 08, 2002 - 07:39 PM

I talked with Ty Davis a while back and he told me he was using some alloy type magnet on his plugs and they were far stronger. And, his dad made the Moose plugs as I recall and he used a standard magnet. He also said his dad recently switched to the stronger magnets so you might run into other than Zip-Ty Racing plugs that are especially strong.

• yamaha.dude

Posted February 09, 2002 - 12:26 AM

I use the Yamaha one... it seems rather a weak magnet... I think the best one would have a Neodynium (sp?) magnet - the stuff would be pulled from the oil, not just if it passed withing a couple of mm of the plug... I appreciate the usefulness of these things, so maybe this is the next bulk buy - nearly as small as a t-handle, and just as useful... What do you guys think? (those without them already that is...)

Paging NHKevin, please come so the white courtesy phone... :)

David

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.