Bought a '94 XR600r - what now?

12 replies to this topic
  • FoolishMortal

Posted May 10, 2007 - 12:24 PM

First, I have been riding street bikes for 18 years and I'm an MSF RiderCoach.

However...

I'm a *complete noob* when it comes to dirt/SM. My plan is to SM the bike (it's street-legal) and keep the dirt wheels for off-road fun. I'm not especially mechanically inclined, but I can do stuff if I have good instructions. My question: what now? I'd love a laundry list of the free/cheap essential mods, tips and tricks to get me on my way. Yes, I know that I'll need to get a set of wheels - I'm looking more for the basics, such as:

Airbox
Carb
Breather tubes
Stator
Lights
Mirrors
???

Is there a resource with how-to guides that I can reference?

Thanks in advance. :applause:

• cleonard

Posted May 10, 2007 - 02:06 PM

There is really not all that much to do other than ride it.

Jetting, if it is stock it's too lean at low altitudes. A larger pilot really helps cold starting. I think that I run a 68S pilot and a 152, 155, or 158 main depending on altitude.

The airbox really is not that bad other than the snorkel and the foam element. I'm sure the snorkel is long gone already. The Honda foam element is a bit restrictive.

Exhaust. The stock pipe only has a tiny hole in the baffle. Replace the entire pipe or get another insert.

If you do constant high rpm wide open riding it will blow some oil out the breather even if the rings are in good condition.

If you want more light get a high output stator or just rewind it yourself.

The best reference here is the search feature. Use it to find what you need.

• FoolishMortal

Posted May 10, 2007 - 03:03 PM

I've definitely been using the Search function, but it would be nice to have all the answers in one place. :applause:

I got the bike with the following:

Cycra probend hand guards
SRC Fork Bace
SRC Fork Guards
Mudskin fork seal savers
Utah Sports skid plate
New Kenda trackmaster tires/new tubes/rim straps
Scotts rear disk caliper guard
Wolfman Enduro tank bag
Heavy duty chain guide
Pro Circuit exhaust (supertrapp style difuser disks)
Uni Air filter
Rejeted 155 main/68 slow jet
Fresh oil change with Motul 300V 15/50 synthetic

Maybe I'm just lucky and someone else has already done the work...?

• DiabloCaballo

Posted May 10, 2007 - 09:38 PM

Yeah, it's ready to roll. Welcome to the dirt.

• nate992v

Posted May 11, 2007 - 07:12 PM

Set of rims with some sticky skins and an oversize front rotor, you're good to go for supermotard.

• FoolishMortal

Posted May 11, 2007 - 07:33 PM

Set of rims with some sticky skins and an oversize front rotor, you're good to go for supermotard.

That is, most definitely, The Plan. :applause:

Got any recommendations for wheel sets?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • bork

Posted May 12, 2007 - 05:09 AM

Welcome FM! Check to see if stock carb, Kiehn. IF so, check choke plate, if it is the stock one with the little stainlees steel flap on it. CHANGE IT! ASAP! or sooner! They are known for breaking apart & damaging engine. There are aftermarket solid billet available. Other than that do the regular oil & filters & she'll treat you right. Sounds like you got a great find!

• FoolishMortal

Posted May 12, 2007 - 06:29 AM

Welcome FM! Check to see if stock carb, Kiehn. IF so, check choke plate, if it is the stock one with the little stainlees steel flap on it. CHANGE IT! ASAP! or sooner! They are known for breaking apart & damaging engine. There are aftermarket solid billet available. Other than that do the regular oil & filters & she'll treat you right. Sounds like you got a great find!

Thanks for the welcome and that awesome tip! I'll check it before riding again. :applause:

• nate992v

Posted May 12, 2007 - 08:52 AM

If you want to save some cash, use the stock hubs and have them laced with new spokes and rims. Procycle sells complete sets from between $800 to $1100. That's will all new stuff. Just gotta price around. If you can lace and true them yourself, you'll save alot on labor.

• FoolishMortal

Posted May 25, 2007 - 10:14 AM

If you do constant high rpm wide open riding it will blow some oil out the breather even if the rings are in good condition.

I'm seeing a little piddling of oil out of the breather tube after street riding, maybe a quarter- or half-dollar-sized drip. Is that a lot?

I'm new enough to the XR that I don't know what constitutes "high RPMs" - without a tach, I don't know if I'm over-revving (and I'm a little afraid to "test" it). Thoughts?

Done. :) I bought the XRs Only choke plate and installed it (after some filing for a better fit).

• cleonard

Posted May 25, 2007 - 10:05 PM

I'm seeing a little piddling of oil out of the breather tube after street riding, maybe a quarter- or half-dollar-sized drip. Is that a lot?

I'm new enough to the XR that I don't know what constitutes "high RPMs" - without a tach, I don't know if I'm over-revving (and I'm a little afraid to "test" it). Thoughts?

If the rings are in good condition and the oil amount is correct, it will only blow out oil at extended wide open throttle. I get a little when I go 7 miles across a dry lake as fast as the bike will go. From what I understand, the CDI will prevent over rev engine failures. I've not intentionally tested it though.

It sounds like your rings are shot. I had to replace mine. My bike got to the point that oil was dripping out even on technical trail rides where I hardly ever got out of second gear. Every time I stopped someone pointed it out. "Dude, your bike is leaking oil!" The engine still ran fine though. I took the engine apart and found that the ring end gap was huge. I just laughed when I saw it. Must have been .150 or .200 of an inch. At the time I was planning on a new piston, but I found tranny gears that needed replacing. I spent most of my extra cash on them. Since the piston and bore both measured well within spec, I just did a hone and slapped some new rings in there. The engine has been running great since. It's usually a one or two kick starter now. I can usually start it faster than my friend with electric starter (06 WR450).

Now for some not so good news. Usually the head is the first thing that needs work, so if you do take it apart for the rings, have the head looked at. Then after you get the cylinder off, look in the crankcase and see what the tranny gears look like.

• bork

Posted May 26, 2007 - 05:10 AM

Can the gears be seen from looking into crank area with jug off? How can you tell if gears are worn out? Are they chipped or missing something or rounded off? I'm no expert in this area. My bike seems to be running fine & no oil drips, but should I be planning ahead for tranny work someday? Will it blow if I just keep riding or will I get symptoms?

• cleonard

Posted May 26, 2007 - 09:13 AM

Can the gears be seen from looking into crank area with jug off? How can you tell if gears are worn out? Are they chipped or missing something or rounded off? I'm no expert in this area. My bike seems to be running fine & no oil drips, but should I be planning ahead for tranny work someday? Will it blow if I just keep riding or will I get symptoms?

Yes, you get a limited view with the jug off. You can see the teeth of the gears pretty well. You can't really see any of the engagement dogs. The visibility of the countershaft is limited. Getting light in there can be difficult. I found the best visibility was in the shade/dark with a good flashlight.

I didn't really have much in the way of symptoms. I just looked in there and both second and third gears had a lot of pitting on the gear faces. I figured that I should replace them. From what I understand most symptoms are gear engagement issues like false neutrals. I guess that when the gear teeth get bad they will makes noise. It's those gear teeth breaking that can do real engine damage.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.