Did I screw up new tube?

4 replies to this topic
  • Tim_in_WA

Posted February 06, 2002 - 10:52 PM

Put on a new front tire and tube last night (D756 and Moose heavy-duty tube), and realized I forgot to screw on that little nut that goes on the base of the tube stem before putting the tube in the tire. :) Am I asking for trouble if I leave it this way, or should I take the tire back off (what fun) and do it right?

• Tim_in_WA

Posted February 07, 2002 - 12:46 AM

Disregard, I went ahead and fixed it. I needed the practice anyway! :)

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • The_Missile

Posted February 07, 2002 - 01:08 AM

If your rim locks are tight enough you should have no problems....however if you really want to do it right you know what you have to do !!!
Life's a bitch aint it ???

• Hayseed

Posted February 07, 2002 - 08:49 AM

In my opinion the stem retainer nut’s only purpose is to prevent the stem from retreating inside the rim when you try to fill it with air. So I don’t tighten it anymore. I’ve never left the base nut, or the one that goes inside the rim, off, but if I did I would probably just leave it that way.

I don’t think the two nuts on the stem are meant to hold the tube in place, the stem isn’t strong enough. If air pressure gets low enough to allow the tube to rotate on the rim the stem sure isn’t going to stop it, it seems if you have the retainer nuts locked down you leave less wiggle room and may enjoy more ruined tubes, not fewer.

My two rupies.

• Tree_hugger

Posted February 07, 2002 - 09:40 AM

The only time I ever used the nuts was while holding the tube in place until the tube was inflated. Then I would throw them away. Never put them inside.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.