Trany grinding between 1st and 2nd!!

15 replies to this topic
  • Rman of 237

Posted May 09, 2007 - 06:14 PM

Hey Everyone,
My transmision is grinding between 1st and 2nd on my 650L. It happens mostly when it is cold but can happen anytime. It is intermitant. I'm running HP4 without moly. Any ideas?:applause:
Rman.

• 2000dr650

Posted May 09, 2007 - 07:26 PM

warped clutch plates??

• murgatroid42

Posted May 09, 2007 - 10:19 PM

This is a common problem with XR650L's. I know someone that had this recurrent problem. The dealer eventually refused to fix it. He warned me to sell my XR650L before it self-destructed.

OTOH, others have never had this problem. :applause:

• rebelventurer

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:36 AM

Time to rebuild, do it right, new gears new bearings new shafts! Find a capable dealer/mechanic, if you do it yourself just buy all new parts!
Oh, fix it before it goes into two gears at the same time! catastrophic failure!
I had one do this once, not a pretty thing, just locks up and stops right now. If any speed is involved its usually quite painfull, and breaks things too, like engine cases!

• MartinDKtm

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:50 AM

What year it is? What milage?

• Rman of 237

Posted May 10, 2007 - 08:19 PM

Hey Guys,Thanks for the tips.
The bike is a 2006 with 1700mi. I got a good deal on it. This chick was selling her old mans stuff after she caught him cheating on her or something.
Anyway, so its bad news huh? I hate to sell it because I've spent alot of $$$
on it with mods and racks. It had like 600mi on it when I bought it. The guy put a Pro Circuit pipe on it but never did the carb mod and it was running real lean. It was running so hot riding it home I was scared it might seize sitting in traffic. I dont know how long he was riding it like that or if riding it hot would hurt the trany, but I installed a Dynojet kit right away and it cooled way off. I put an XR's Only oil temp dipstick on it and it reads between 230 and 250 degs. A little off subject, my xr400 never gets over 200 degs with the stock oil cooler.
I was hoping to take this bike to Big Bend and The Davis Mountians this spring but it looks like thats shot.:p :applause: :p :applause: :p
Breaking the case is over my head as I dont have a garage, just a back porch I do light maint. on .
I will be away from the computer this weekend so please dont think I'm just not responding to any replys.
How much $$$ is a reasonable amount to expect to pay labor wise to split the case?
Anyone know a good honda man around Houston or Austin?
Thanks for reading my post,:p
Rman

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 11, 2007 - 07:42 AM

Not that someone could not have done it, but I'm skeptical its a transmission prob.

Especially since its intermittent.

Does it only happen on the upshift?
When its in 1st or 2nd does it happen without shifting?
Do you hear a grind, or it just seems to slip?

The shifter has to do a huge movement on the 1-2 on these bikes- could it be that the shifter moves plenty to do any other shift, but on the 1-2 throw it drags on the case?

If you describe exactly how you make it happen, what it feels like, and what it sounds like, I think we can get you running.

Dave

• martinfan30

Posted May 11, 2007 - 08:36 AM

dave, i agree. mine did the exact same thing to the "T". then i put a MSR shifter on it and dropped it down one tooth lower than the stock shifter was. it has not done this since! it would grind every time if it was internal because metal cannot heal itself!:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • XR650L_Dave

Posted May 11, 2007 - 01:18 PM

dave, i agree. mine did the exact same thing to the "T". then i put a MSR shifter on it and dropped it down one tooth lower than the stock shifter was. it has not done this since! it would grind every time if it was internal because metal cannot heal itself!:applause:

Yeah, that's why the exact description is so important.

When the gear dogs wear/bend from abuse, you can have it pop back and forth between various gears, but its usually pretty smooth when it happens.

Dave

• murgatroid42

Posted May 11, 2007 - 08:22 PM

dave, i agree. mine did the exact same thing to the "T". then i put a MSR shifter on it and dropped it down one tooth lower than the stock shifter was. it has not done this since! it would grind every time if it was internal because metal cannot heal itself!:p

Hmmmm, that could cause shifter problems. Try some other simple stuff first before tearing the bike apart. Adjust the clutch lever so it has minimum freeplay. I put more play in mine (a mistake), to make it more comfortable to use, but the tranny would grind sometimes. Also, my XR650L shifted better with Mobil1 MTX 10W40 oil than the Rotella synthetic I thought would be a good, cheap substitute.

:applause: Oh, no!!! Not another oil thread!! Sorry, I don't want to start that. :applause:

• CTXr650L

Posted May 12, 2007 - 03:57 AM

My 06 650L is definately moody shifting from 1-2, it takes a deliberate and complete stroke of the shifter to make sure i dont have it kick out of 2nd. every other gear is like a flick of the toe for a shift. i think i will try one of those msr shift levers too to see how much this can help.

• Moredesert

Posted May 13, 2007 - 01:55 PM

warped clutch plates??

I agree, the clutch is not releasing 100%. The gears are harder to slow down so they grind until they mesh. If the bike only has 1700 miles on it they are fine.

• Rman of 237

Posted May 16, 2007 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for everyones replys, I have been indisposed for a time. I'm home.:) The trany goes 'crunch' from neutral to 1st and from 1st to 2nd. It never slips between gears.
It's more common when it's cold.
Rman of 237

• martinfan30

Posted May 16, 2007 - 07:49 PM

Thanks for everyones replys, I have been indisposed for a time. I'm home.:) The trany goes 'crunch' from neutral to 1st and from 1st to 2nd. It never slips between gears.
It's more common when it's cold.
Rman of 237

that sounds like an oil that is too thick!

• martinfan30

Posted May 16, 2007 - 07:50 PM

or like prev. stated clutch plates sticking.

• Rman of 237

Posted May 18, 2007 - 10:06 PM

Hi,
I'm running HP4 20/50 (without moly). I live in Central Texas so I hardly have to worry about the oil being to thick.:bonk: I will use the prosess of elemination and check the clutch plates 1st. I can handle that on my porch. Its not getting any worse so splitting the case will wait. I did split the case on a 77' RM250 doing about 70mph on the side of a ditch once. Scalding hot oil all over your leg on a completely locked up out of control P.O.S. on the edge of a Houston bayou?? Sooooothing!:ride:
Its the loving of the game!:)
R...

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.