'02 650R Dakar kit?

3 replies to this topic
  • BRPDAVE

Posted May 09, 2007 - 06:01 PM

Any body out ther install a Dakar Kit on their pig? was wondering what you did with your AC regulator and the extra wires coming off of your CDI. My carb keep flooding out and the bike will not starts. I need help!
I've been at it for 3 weeks:confused: .
I installed a Wiseco 11:1 piston but the bike will still not fire.
Any info you have would be helpful!

• InternalCombustion

Posted May 10, 2007 - 06:04 PM

Please explain your phrase "...extra wires coming off the CDI." ???

There are no "extra wires". There are 6 leads associated with the CDI/ECM;
- Bl/Y: to ingnition coil
- Bl/W: from kill switch
- Bl/R: from stator (power to ECM)
- Br: from stator (power to ECM)
- Bu/Y: from ignition pulse gerator
- G: from ignition pulse gerator

None of these leads are extra. In theory you could leave off the kill switch lead but you'd not be able to kill the engine, except by stalling it.

I am not familiar with the Dakar system, my setup is custom, I did my own. If you want to see my schematic, check out My Garage for the diagram. My guess is it will be very close to the Dakar schematic, except that my ignition coil lead is routed through a keyed ignition switch, for security purposes.

I would strongly recommend that you double-check every single connection you've made while installing the Dakar, and make sure you've not crossed anything.

I hope this helps. Let us know how you progress.

Ride safe.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • adam574

Posted May 11, 2007 - 06:37 AM

the dakar kit is a complete nightmare. by far the worst dualsport kit i have owned and as far as eas of installations goes it gets a 2 out of 10. just awefull.

• slotcarrod

Posted May 11, 2007 - 08:49 AM

Any body out ther install a Dakar Kit on their pig? was wondering what you did with your AC regulator and the extra wires coming off of your CDI. My carb keep flooding out and the bike will not starts. I need help!
I've been at it for 3 weeks:confused: .
I installed a Wiseco 11:1 piston but the bike will still not fire.
Any info you have would be helpful!

Hi Dave
If you are using the stock/OEM stator. You need to connect the OEM stators green leed to the any of the 2 Dakar's yellow leeds, and the OEM white/yellow leed to the other Dakar yellow Leed. You can remove the OEM AC Regulator, as the Dakar kit has one built in. The CDI wires stay the same! Black/red to black/red and brown to brown. You will not use the other wires!

As for the flooding and starting... Sorry, I don't think I can help you. However I would fix the wiring first and make sure you are getting a spark. You took the top end off! Is the timing set properly?

Hope this helps you!
Rod

ps: Yes the Dakar wiring is a pain, but if you have some mechanical common sense you will be fine. It seems that Electrosport want's the buyer to kick out more $$ for their stator, as the instructions are missing critical info when installing with a OEM stator.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo
Washington

Cle Elum Sunday 5/29: Looking for dual sport tips by TigerTanker

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   Northwest
  • Hot  32 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  28 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.