"S1" fork oil??

3 replies to this topic
  • Maximus83

Posted May 09, 2007 - 05:30 PM

I know this is more suited for a suspension question but I know more people monitor these threads so it has a better/quicker chance of getting answered.

In my manual it says use S1 fork oil. Is this a rating or a specific kind of oil made by Yamaha? It doesnt mention a weight of oil anywhere so I'm a little :applause:

• Nitroused383

Posted May 09, 2007 - 07:04 PM

S1 oil is the type of oil to run in the inner damper. You can get it at your local yamaha store. I'm not sure what the brand actually is since its all written in Japanese. I beleive it is 0 weight oil. I've read that the damper rod will fully extend back when using s1 oil vs. other oils. Its about $23 for a 1 lite can, which i beleive you can do both sets of inner chambers twice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • rexbond007

Posted May 09, 2007 - 07:34 PM

when i did my forks i bought 5w racing fork oil and the parts guy told me the fork oil was S1. and i can use it in my inners. now I am concerned what is the truth

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2007 - 08:07 PM

"S1" is Yamaha/KYB's proprietary $27/qt fork oil. Most suspension gurus don't actually think much of it for a variety of reasons. I have used Maxima Light Shock Fluid (3wt) on four sets of these forks in both chambers, and it works very well.

Most of the shops I've asked about this recommend good, high quality oils in the 2.5-5wt range. Don't worry about it.

Related Content

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  106 replies

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Is the 2016 GYTR Yamaha YZ450F too fast? by Fryboy

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • * - - - -
  • Hot  241 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.