I Need A Clutch! 06YZ450

19 replies to this topic
  • 02YZ426

Posted May 09, 2007 - 04:43 PM

Smoked my clutch at the races this weekend.. Not bad though it only lasted 27 races and dozens of practice days! I had a GYTR clutch last time, is this still the best available? I am also replacing the springs this time too.. not sure if it needs it but I figure it can't hurt.

• 02YZ426

Posted May 10, 2007 - 01:49 PM

Crap, the GYTR is back ordered... is the Barnett kit any good?

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2007 - 03:43 PM

Use Hinson or OEM plates, if GYT-R is unavailable.

• 02YZ426

Posted May 10, 2007 - 04:29 PM

I always thought Barnett was the clutch to have... for years this is all I heard people talk about :applause: Are they not as good anymore or is the hinson and OEM just better stuff now?

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2007 - 04:36 PM

Personally, I have never been a Barnett fan.

• 02YZ426

Posted May 17, 2007 - 03:12 PM

Well I decided to wait it out for the GYTR kit, finally came in today! I also told the shop to get me some Yamaha clutch springs but unfortunately they got me EBC. Is it ok to run them?? From the experiences I've had with EBC stuff it makes me a little nervous but I don't want to wait any longer to ride! My other option would be to re use my old OEM ones. What do you think I should do?

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2007 - 03:48 PM

There are three things that could be wrong with the springs.

> They might vary enough from one to the next to cause the pressure plate not to lift straight, which would make the clutch drag.

> They might be the wrong rate, either unnecessarily stiff, or not stiff enough. (too stiff is more common).

> They might be the right rate, but the wrong length, which has a similar effect as the wrong rate does.

• 02YZ426

Posted May 17, 2007 - 04:11 PM

There are three things that could be wrong with the springs.

> They might vary enough from one to the next to cause the pressure plate not to lift straight, which would make the clutch drag.

> They might be the wrong rate, either unnecessarily stiff, or not stiff enough. (too stiff is more common).

> They might be the right rate, but the wrong length, which has a similar effect as the wrong rate does.

Hmmmm.. so I'm taking it your not an EBC fan either then :) I wish I had thought to bring my digital vernier home from work to compare them to stock spec :ride: And I'm off now for the long weekend so I am not going back to get it!

• grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2007 - 04:45 PM

Hmmmm.. so I'm taking it your not an EBC fan either then

Their brakes seem alright, but I have had some negative experiences with their clutch plates. The spring comments are based on experiences with low cost aftermarket springs in general. GYT-R and Hinson springs are excellent.

• 02YZ426

Posted May 17, 2007 - 05:05 PM

Thanks. I was surprised how cheap the springs were.. $9 cdn :) Thats for the set. Maybe I will just run my stock springs for this weekends race and exchange these ones for the GYTR ones. I didn't realize they made the springs as well.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 17, 2007 - 06:12 PM

There isn't a lot wrong with the OEM springs, either.

• 02YZ426

Posted May 17, 2007 - 06:29 PM

There isn't a lot wrong with the OEM springs, either.

Nope, except mine has been through two toasted clutches!

• Ga426owner

Posted May 18, 2007 - 05:56 AM

Stock oem springs are 15.00 - I use them when replacing clutch. EBC may be ok but may make clutch pull stiffer

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2007 - 08:29 AM

EBC may ...make clutch pull stiffer

That's one of my complaints right there.

• dwnlowx

Posted May 18, 2007 - 09:13 AM

what about the dp clutch kit

• 02YZ426

Posted May 18, 2007 - 09:23 AM

*update* I installed the EBC springs just out of curiosity.. GARBAGE! The clutch pull was so stiff I didn't even waste my time putting engine oil in there. Looks like I will have to re use my old OEM ones for this weekend. Why can't my dealer just order what I ask?? Its frustrating that I order OEM springs and someone behind the counter figures I want EBC.. whats up with that.

• dwnlowx

Posted May 18, 2007 - 09:30 AM

thats just your normal parts store

• Ga426owner

Posted May 18, 2007 - 12:14 PM

*update* I installed the EBC springs just out of curiosity.. GARBAGE! The clutch pull was so stiff I didn't even waste my time putting engine oil in there. Looks like I will have to re use my old OEM ones for this weekend. Why can't my dealer just order what I ask?? Its frustrating that I order OEM springs and someone behind the counter figures I want EBC.. whats up with that.

probably more profit.....:)

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2007 - 01:24 PM

Here's the answer to that problem:

http://oem.thumperta...om/default.aspx

• 02YZ426

Posted May 18, 2007 - 01:37 PM

Here's the answer to that problem:

http://oem.thumperta...om/default.aspx

Well if the CDN dollar keeps heading the way it is, I'll be doing all my shopping across the border. I do try to support my local dealers as much as possible, but if they keep pulling stupids all the time what can one do.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.