Big Gun jetting

3 replies to this topic
  • kzrider

Posted May 09, 2007 - 09:49 AM

I recently purchased an 01 XR650R with a Big Gun full system. The previous owner put in a 128 main and 68 pilot, but did not uncork the bike. Both restrictors are still in the airbox along with the stock filter/screen. The stock intake (between carb and motor) is still in place also. This weekend I plan to uncork everything and was wondering what jets I should start with. Would a 175 main and 68 pilot be too lean to use with the Big Gun system? Should I try 178/70? Also, what about using Uni filtered airbox vents?

Thanks

• Motosprtman

Posted May 09, 2007 - 10:21 AM

I am running a White Brothers E-2 slip on exhaust and here is my setup if it is of any help.

I used a Dynojet kit, needle, spring and 165 main jet and installed a 55 Kehien pilot jet. I did not drill the slide as is so often mentioned as a necessity. Then I ground off the air fuel screw tab and bottomed the screw out and then back it off 2 1/4 turns. I then Removed the stock air filter and replaced with a UNI filter, removed the top of the airbox (snorkel), removed the smog equipment and blocked off with an IMS kit.

Runs great! cold starts vastly improved as is cold running overall. Pulls strong and has crisp throttle response.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • roadrunner81

Posted May 09, 2007 - 03:55 PM

If you plan on cutting side cover and no back fire screen you should try a 190 main move needle up one position.:applause: I always ran stock pilot but bump it up one size to make it run right.

• kzrider

Posted May 11, 2007 - 05:50 AM

Thanks for the help, guys!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Engine Loping/Sputtering by tcaldwell

• 4 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Wiki
Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L?  Here's how - last post by clc3251

Want to add a kickstart to your XR650L? Here's how

Articles
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.