WR 450 as commuter Ride: Attention Hot climate Gridlock warriors

5 replies to this topic
  • thumbthrottler

Posted May 09, 2007 - 05:41 AM

I have an 05 WR 450, and am tired of idling in traffic burning 6 cylinders worth of gas for stop and go for 1 + hours.

Out west/down south (hot climates), do any of you run your bikes to work for commuting, and what type of overheating protection do you run? Is this bike fine idling (no air flow over rads) or is there a fan to mount?

Aside from that, any tips on what to keep an eye on for wear if I become a WR commuter (100 + miles a day).

Already have DOT tires installed (Dulops), so tread wear isn't a problem, for now. Gas pricing is driving this bus currently, as well as wanting to have a little fun on the ride in.

Just a guy from Michigan trying to do his part.:applause:

• MaxPower

Posted May 09, 2007 - 06:07 AM

Aside from that, any tips on what to keep an eye on for wear if I become a WR commuter (100 + miles a day).

[COLOR="Green"]not much too look out for, valves, cam, timing chain, oil changes ,gearbox.The bike pretty much maintains itself[/COLOR]

• Fryboy

Posted May 09, 2007 - 06:14 AM

Ohhh my, I am not sure I'd enjoy a 100mi round trip of freeway driving. These bikes are awesome but they aren't the most comfortable for long distances at 70+mph. I'd definately look at going smaller in the rear sprocket. As small as you can find without sacrificing too much low end.

Now for just in town commuting? I'd be all over that.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • MSHAM

Posted May 09, 2007 - 06:53 AM

Ohhh my, I am not sure I'd enjoy a 100mi round trip of freeway driving. These bikes are awesome but they aren't the most comfortable for long distances at 70+mph. I'd definately look at going smaller in the rear sprocket. As small as you can find without sacrificing too much low end.

Now for just in town commuting? I'd be all over that.

I agree. go for a scooter. You will over heat or burn your pants just sitting on your wr. That won't be nice to the wr and it will sacrifice its performance offroad. You will wear your tire faster if you use the throttle at all. oil changes very often. You'll get better gas milage on a scooter or a Ninja 250. You can pick both up cheap and the 250 ninja is wicked on gas!!! just my 2 cents

• rheynard

Posted May 09, 2007 - 07:32 AM

Yep I seen KTM guys with a aux fan (I guess they overheat major). As far a signals I use the "tween" lane alot and bypass that long line of cars. On major long lights I use the right turn - u turn- right turn method :applause: You have to use the bike to its advantage, my WR is much narrower than street bikes for the "tween" lane. Have fun

• thumbthrottler

Posted May 09, 2007 - 08:58 AM

thanks guys,
I wrote that after sitting in traffic on my way in this am; my 50 mile trip took an hour and 45 minutes, mostly sitting in traffic. Kept imagining myself on the bike, shut off, just walking it for the most part.
Crazy....i know.:applause:

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.