04 YZ450 ignition problems

3 replies to this topic
  • FLjoyride

Posted May 08, 2007 - 05:32 PM

I recently bought an 04 yz450. As soon as I got it I changed the oil and filter, replaced the stock air filter with a K&N and took it out for a weekend ride. It performed good and I had no problems (except some hard starting on cold mornings). After I got home I changed the oil again and checked it.. it didnt register on the stick (idled it for a good 4 mins). I added a little more and it registered high but in the range. Took it for a 20 min ride and it ran fine. Parked it for a few hours then fired it up again and got about 500 feet before it died. I started it after what seemed like 30 kicks and drove it home where it died again and then wouldnt start. First thing I did was check the oil which was just about coming out of the dip stick hole. Changed the oil again thinking maybe I did something wrong.. still won't run. So I check the spark and sure enough there was none. I went through the testing for the stator coils and the ignition coil. While I did this I found that the wire for the neutral sensor was melted and had broken, so I crimp connected that back together after testing that too. After that all of the tests passed except for the ignition coil. I got a reading of 0.000 Ohms across where the connector goes (supposed to be .08-.1?) So I bought a used coil off Ebay for $30 and tried it.. same problem. Measured that one and got 0.000 Ohms as well. Could I have two bad coils.. a bad CDI box, or a bad meter? I will bring the coils to the local dealer tomorrow to have them check them out but I was wondering if any of you had any suggestions.

• FLjoyride

Posted May 09, 2007 - 03:04 AM

Could the neutral wire fry the CDI? It had corroded wire around where it was melted so it has been shorted out for some time.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2007 - 08:17 AM

In actual use, the neutral switch wire is grounded any time the bike is in neutral, so there is no electrical difference between that and having a short in the middle of the wire, except that the short doesn't occur when it's supposed to.

A shorted neutral lead will lower the rev limit, and alter the ignition timing map, which will make the bike run poorly, but it won't make it miss, an dit certainly won't keep it from running.

• FLjoyride

Posted May 09, 2007 - 09:19 AM

I'm thinking it's the CDI box.. and that my multi meter doesn't work too good below .5 ohms or so. I will check the connections one more time and go over it real good before I buy a CDI. I hope I didn't buy a lemon.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.