Right Side Covers Melting

7 replies to this topic
  • Ganadore

Posted May 08, 2007 - 05:17 PM

Anyone have the issue with their right side shield (number plate) melting near the exhaust? I have an 07 YZ450F and the right shield has melted/deformed around the lower mounting screw (the small opening in the lower front of the shield totally deformed) and the air box has a small burnt surface about 2" long. Anyone experience this before? The shield started melting within the 1st hour or so after purchasing it and after 15+ hours of riding its pretty rough. It still has stock jetting and exhaust (pro billet end - but the melting occurred prior to installing the end). The fuel screw is about 2 turns out. I have decals I would like to put on the shield but there is no point to applying them until I can reduce the heat. I have no idea if this is typical or not or if it is a jetting issue. Thoughts?

• Idaho_Stas

Posted May 08, 2007 - 10:15 PM

Nope... First I've heard of this. I've got an '06 w/ 85 hours on it; stock exhaust; and no problems at all.

I know they modified the exhaust for '07 quite a bit to knock down the noise... wonder if those changes are resulting in more heat.

• FLjoyride

Posted May 09, 2007 - 04:05 AM

is there foil on your side cover?

• Ganadore

Posted May 09, 2007 - 04:28 AM

is there foil on your side cover?

I installed a new cover last week and did some trail riding with the boy's on Saturday (6 hours). Before installing the cover I put the aluminum heat shield material on the inside of it. It kept the cover from deforming in the same area, but the top surface of the cover in that area had some small burnt residue on top about the size of 2 quarters (very light brown in color). The best way to describe it is if you got a sun burn and you started to peel. So the foil helped, but there is a lot of heat going on there. Without the foil, it would probably would have been deformed the same as the first. I am going to play around with the jetting and fuel screw some more before the next ride.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Ranger18

Posted May 09, 2007 - 06:55 AM

I have an 06, but there is no way that yamaha changed the design in 07 to the point were their bikes would melt. My number plates are still white as white gets. You must have something wrong, possibly a bent pipe or bent subframe.

• WB450

Posted May 09, 2007 - 07:48 AM

News to me.

• Ganadore

Posted May 09, 2007 - 08:27 AM

Pretty much news to everyone I talked to including my dealer. I am dropping it off tomorrow to let them figure it out. I don't care to try and figure it out by trial and error. I got a new decal kit I am anixously waiting to put on the bike, but I need to get this resolved before doing so.

Posted May 09, 2007 - 09:09 AM

Yes I have the same problem!!!

My 07 YZ 450 has a TI-4GP systems exhaust and it runs real hot...

Burt the Pro Circuit stickers right off - I repacked it once already but now it has done exaclty what you said - burnt a hole in my # plate!!!!!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.