Smaller battery

7 replies to this topic
  • xr650l bum

Posted May 08, 2007 - 01:35 PM

I have been researching batteries for the xr650l. People are downsizing the stock battery, wich is the ytx9 and going down to the ytx5. The difference is 1.7 pounds and the 9 is 8ah and the 5 is 5ah. Is the difference in ah any type of a problem? Odyssey makes the 310 wich is stronger and better, but .3 lbs heavier, and 3 times as much!

• martinfan30

Posted May 08, 2007 - 01:39 PM

ive been looking into this a bit too. is the ytx5 for a crf450x? ive heard its a good replacement. i looked at that 310 oddessey also, but very pricey!

• cleonard

Posted May 08, 2007 - 01:53 PM

Less amp hours means less reserve before it will not start the engine. If you go with the smaller battery just keep that in mind. Don't let it get discharged running the lights. Usually the larger the electric motor the more efficient it is. The starter on the 650L is larger than the one on the 450x so the 650L may actually need less current to start the bike. The 450 is also much higher on the compression ratio.

I found a battery mfg site http://www.apexbattery.com/ and they have the specs on the batteries that they sell. They list the 650L battery with a CCA of 120 and the 450X battery with a CCA of 130.

I'm sure that an even smaller battery would work too, but since the 650L has no kick start that might not be a good idea.

• rmhrc630

Posted May 08, 2007 - 03:58 PM

I have been researching batteries for the xr650l. People are downsizing the stock battery, wich is the ytx9 and going down to the ytx5. The difference is 1.7 pounds and the 9 is 8ah and the 5 is 5ah. Is the difference in ah any type of a problem? Odyssey makes the 310 wich is stronger and better, but .3 lbs heavier, and 3 times as much!

I use a genuine CRF450X Yuasa battery on my high comp HRC 628 engine and it runs fine. Starts fine and powers up fine.

I've mounted it under the seat.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • xr650l bum

Posted May 08, 2007 - 05:53 PM

I use a genuine CRF450X Yuasa battery on my high comp HRC 628 engine and it runs fine. Starts fine and powers up fine.

I've mounted it under the seat.

I have seen it. You used the yausa ytx5. I guess my issue is that I am only saving 1.7 lbs. Not much! I thought the difference was much higher.

• martinfan30

Posted May 08, 2007 - 08:22 PM

that means you can have a double cheeseburger instead of a salad when you are out on a trip!!!:applause: :applause:

• TDC71

Posted May 09, 2007 - 09:16 AM

Good one Martinfan:applause: Classic thumper comedy, gotta love it:thumbsup:

Todd

• lhark

Posted May 09, 2007 - 01:28 PM

I've had the YTX 5 in my XR650L for 4 seasons, and it still works fine. If everything is set up right, the thing fires after just a few seconds of cranking. 1.7 lbs is a lot, especially when you've gotten rid of all the heavy stuff Honda put on there in the first place. Can you imagine what it would cost to find this kind of weight reduction, if you use titanium fasteners, and other exotic stuff? The battery swap costs less than the original!

Related Content

Reviews

Honda XR650L 2016 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2016
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 7 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.