High wear parts in the 426 motor!?!?

2 replies to this topic
  • Pincushion

Posted May 08, 2007 - 06:34 AM

I've got the bike stripped down for painting and figured I'd go through the motor and see how things look. I rebuilt the motor 2 years ago (new oil pump, numerous gears, piston, 450 cam, cam chain....) and figured now would be a good time for an inspection. It's a 2000 model year and I'm aware of the CB key issue, but what else?

I hear a ticking sound coming from the head at idle, but I think its normal valve train noise. Other than that she purrs. What in the head is causing this ticking noise? What are the high wear items in the top end of this motor? I dont feel the cases need to be split, so no need to mention anything below the jug.

Thanks!

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Markopolo400

Posted May 08, 2007 - 12:56 PM

My 400 started making a ticking noise as well in early April.

I replace my entire valve train, piston, and cam chain.

I suspect it was the cam chain making the noise, but It's nice to have a completely fresh engine.

• Pincushion

Posted May 08, 2007 - 01:55 PM

It certainly could be the chain or that I'm using the 450 cam and the tooth pitch discrepancy maybe causing some extra clatter. I've only got about 25 easy hours on the chain, so I know its not at its limit.

Thanks for the input!

Related Content

Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

YZ450F 03 Sparks driving me crazy by SirAttard

• 5 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

• 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.