Fuel injection on the 08 YZ450F?

100 replies to this topic
  • DesertRacer2

Posted May 16, 2007 - 06:27 AM

Back in 98 practically all of the reviews of the new YZ400F were positive, not negative. Everyone loved it and the dealers sold out immediately. It was just a sign of the times, new technology won. The same will happen with EFI.

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:08 AM

Back in 98 practically all of the reviews of the new YZ400F were positive, not negative. Everyone loved it and the dealers sold out immediately. It was just a sign of the times, new technology won. The same will happen with EFI.

The '98 was REAL heavy, impossible to quickly restart hot, didn't turn, but had magical acceleration...... mostly NEGITIVE. Yet Doug Henry won the outdoor 250cc Championship aboard the YZ400F.... This was the begining of a new legend....

• rdefonce

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:42 AM

Its lived up to its hype in tons of other sects of motorsports. I think it can help this one as well.

I won't buy another big 4-stroker until it's FI.
Not that carbs don't do a great job, but I'm damned tired of fiddling with the jetting every time the weather changes, or we go hi-altitude riding, or whatever.
They're just too hard to get to on modern dirt bikes for easy maintenance.:) It's gonna be great to never have to jet again!

Yes, I AM lazy . . . "sir, I just want to ride" :ride:

• DesertRacer2

Posted May 16, 2007 - 01:49 PM

The '98 was REAL heavy, impossible to quickly restart hot, didn't turn, but had magical acceleration...... mostly NEGITIVE. Yet Doug Henry won the outdoor 250cc Championship aboard the YZ400F.... This was the begining of a new legend....

It was heavy, however, it went toe to toe with the 1998 250 two stroke shootout winner (98 KX250) and beat it. It had better ergonomics which meant it turned better. Hence, lap times were fast by over 1 second.

• rdefonce

Posted May 17, 2007 - 11:50 AM

It was heavy, however, it went toe to toe with the 1998 250 two stroke shootout winner (98 KX250) and beat it. It had better ergonomics which meant it turned better. Hence, lap times were fast by over 1 second.

I still got my old '99 YZ400F, which I bought brand spankin' new, and it's been one helluva good dirt bike! I am keeping that gem. What a durable motor.:)
Once rolling, the weight is not that noticeable . . . until you're done riding and ya gotta get it on a stand.:ride:

Guess I'm spoiled 'cause I've been lifting a 200 KTM onto a stand lately, which is lighter than new 4-strokers!

• fatiedp

Posted May 17, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Well,,, i just saw a 08 yzf 250 in a suspension shop,,EFI is on it!!!

Posted May 18, 2007 - 04:55 AM

hmmm? can anyone else verify they're gonna be out for 08? i heard not until 09. as this would immediately halt 07 sales, i'm sure they're not going to let it out, but if anyone has some dirt on yamaha efi, bring it on.

• stknrdr

Posted May 18, 2007 - 08:17 AM

As for me, Ill be embracing EFI when it comes out.

Just take a look at all the "I have a bog/How should I jet for my altitude" threads. All that stuff will go away. Instant throttle response, no bog, no matter where or how you ride... excellent starting characteristics and no stalling from tip overs or g outs.

I've been sold on EFI forever and ever. I had a fuel injected rockcrawler bronco, no carb ever ran that sweetly, especially on steep inclines. Every time I start my car on a cold winter morning when its been sitting at the airport for 4 days I thank the gods of fuel injection.

Who remembers the old pump pump pump *cough* *sputter* die routine of starting a car on a cold morning? When was the last time you "flooded" anything ?

100,000 miles on a car and it still starts instantly. OH yeah EFI for me.

• grayracer513

Posted May 18, 2007 - 08:31 AM

Uh-huh.

• fatiedp

Posted May 18, 2007 - 10:14 AM

taking bets????

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Stripes123

Posted May 18, 2007 - 10:14 AM

:) :ride:

Sure you did...

• fatiedp

Posted May 18, 2007 - 10:17 AM

have no reason to bs.......and i'm gonna get one!

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 18, 2007 - 11:22 AM

have no reason to bs.......and i'm gonna get one!

You saw an 08' YZF EFI at a suspension shop in PA. ?? Dude, go newbie troll some more shizz, elsewhere..... That wasn't EFI you saw it was called a Kehin FCR..... and it wasn't and '08 it was an '07 with Monster graphics...

• Ga426owner

Posted May 18, 2007 - 12:13 PM

Sometimes when we want something so much ...... we hallucinate. Or at least a few of us do......:)

the 08s are not out and not here yet....but wishful thinking.

Posted May 18, 2007 - 12:35 PM

what's the general consensus on the 08's having efi?

• Stripes123

Posted May 18, 2007 - 12:47 PM

Not likely for '08. I would guess it might show up on the WR first and/or in a smaller market.

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 18, 2007 - 03:31 PM

Not likely for '08. I would guess it might show up on the WR first and/or in a smaller market.

Yup, I agree. We should be hearing R&D tidbits from the dirt mags in the coming year. They will most likely test in Japan, as EFI would be illegal under current AMA rulings stateside.

• KJ790

Posted May 18, 2007 - 03:44 PM

Yamaha has been running EFI in Japan for two years. Every manufacturer has. I heard that Yamaha announced that they will not produce EFI in a bike until 09 at the soonest.

• socal_sierra

Posted May 20, 2007 - 11:55 PM

Yup, I agree. We should be hearing R&D tidbits from the dirt mags in the coming year. They will most likely test in Japan, as EFI would be illegal under current AMA rulings stateside.

not unless it comes from the factory equiped with EFI. The rule says that you cannot change a bike that has a carb from the factory over to EFI.

• grayracer513

Posted May 21, 2007 - 05:46 AM

... EFI would be illegal under current AMA rulings stateside.

EFI is legal now if it is factory installed as original equipment on production versions of the motorcycles being raced.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.