Fuel injection on the 08 YZ450F?

100 replies to this topic
  • grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2007 - 01:30 PM

6fiddy, go to a road race and tell me the EFI guys are not tweaking their fuel systems. Different system, different tools, that's all.

• Polar_Bus

Posted May 09, 2007 - 04:41 PM

My jetting is good. But, EFI is the next step in the industry. Technology is good. Imagine a bike that starts up and runs perfect no matter what the climate is. :applause:

I have a 2006 HD Fatboy with Delphi fuel injection, and it runs absolutely the shizz. I have done severall performance mods, and I use a piggyback EFI module called a Power Commander. The PC allows me to adjust fuel % at a given throttle opening and RPM. I use my laptop. It takes me about 5 min. to upload a fuel map.

I can certainly see a justifyable FI future in MX. The only current issue is the added weight of the FI components.

• Ga426owner

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:20 AM

I hope your not talking about me? I'm not the one who paid somebody for a carb mod. :applause: :

What are you saying ....believe me you can only jet as well as your ability and testing can deliver. A properly jetted bike still will have a stumble/hesitation at throttle opening. The Keihin is a good carb and more tunable than what the avg Joe who swaps out a mj and a pj has the ability to accomplish.....period. The carb mod is the best 100 you can spend and it offers more power than a stocker....and yes it does make the carb throttle response as close to 2 stroke as possible.....so what is your beef?
EFI is good, no argument from me on this...I think it will need to be refined more than what any manufacturer offers for a first year bike...that is all.

The issue I am driving at that no one seems to understand or wants to comment on is this:
Come on any and all, to tell all of us EFI is good and more Technology is good explain how this will justify spending close to 10k for a MX dirt bike,,,this is the point....
any takers?

• socal_sierra

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:34 AM

Has anyone had any expirence with the flash tuners that plug into the data port on your fuel injected car/truck?. Same principle with EFI dirtbikes. You can go to the track ride a few laps come back and change settings without tinkering with a carb, quick and easy. It wont be as bad as some of you guys are making it out to be. I doubt there will even be much of a price increase once factory EFI is mass produced. Its technology.. Personally im excited about it.

• socal_sierra

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:35 AM

EFI is good, no argument from me on this...I think it will need to be refined more than what any manufacturer offers for a first year bike...that is all.

It has to come sometime.. :applause:

• Yamahafan

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:35 AM

The issue I am driving at that no one seems to understand or wants to comment on is this:
Come on any and all, to tell all of us EFI is good and more Technology is good explain how this will justify spending close to 10k for a MX dirt bike,,,this is the point.... any takers?

What he said. If it ain't broke, why pay a whole lot of money to fit it? The Keinen carb is a physical/gravity flow system that is very reliable after proper set up. How much weight will EFI add? If they add a battery they better add electric start (for in moto restarts) at the same time. I would rather spend my money on a revalve and diamond-like coating (DLC) for my forks.

Anybody clamoring for EFI hasn't sent their carb to Zip-Ty.

• loopsrider

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:44 AM

HEY LOOPSRIDER ! ! !"instead of ripping your carb apart to change jetting,"......come on, re-jetting a carb isnt that hard at all. You take off the float bowl and loosen the manifold clamps so you can turn the carb toward you a little. Its been my experiance that the guys who know how to "dial in their bikes jetting and suspension" are the best riders, with the most experiance and are there to lend a hand to newbie's. They are the ones you want to hang with and they bring more to the riding area (advise/help)than anyone else. Hey, if you want to switch to a honda (a good bike no doubt) from a Yamaha because Yamaha doesnt have FI yet and you think you have to rip a carb apart and get your hands DIRTY ( 'oh the thought of that is ghastley isnt it!) Then you definatley deserve a honda. I mean if you read your thread it sounds like you want to punish Yamaha. My 06' is dialed in, I did it myself, It wont need to be again because its a set and forget kind of thing you know.I am proud to help others and show them how as well. If FI costs a lot more $$ than the proven set up I have now that is simple and serviceable by myself, That will suck. If riders didnt enjoy tweaking their bikes, this website would not exist would it? Fuel pumps, oxygen sensors, injectors, humidity sensors, barometric sensors, egr's,
Your bike wont run unless all of these things and more are in unison. Imagine yourself in 20 miles in Ocala National Forest, 97 degrees, and you O2 sensor fails or some shit. Simplicity is a huge benifit to dirt bikes. The ability to do it yourself is very cool and it gives you something to do when your injured and cant ride or if your in snow country. I just hope that the Manufactures dont over-tech our future bikes to the point we have to pay and pay to keep them operating right. Also, I hope the prices dont get outawhack with what i can afford to spend on my sons next bike. And remember, Nextell cup/ Nascar race cars use carburators. Dont be such a p-ssy, jet your bike, its fun when your done and it rips your arms off and your buddies want you to show them how to do it too. -JR

Listen buddy...

I was a bike tech for 4 years and am an certified automotive tech for 10 years. I'm well in tune with "getting my hands dirty". I've jetted hundereds if not thousands of bikes and you're right that it is easy. All I'm saying is it is way easier with a scan tool or module programmer. Have you ever even had a scan tool in your grubby mitts???

Sounds like you're the pus-ey and are scared of EFI....

I'm not out to "punish" Yamaha. One bike sale isn't going to break their bank. I hear that all the time as a GM tech. People bitch and say they are going to buy a Ford. Who F'n cares..... Theres a million other people that will take your place. I started this thread wondering only if the EFI would be available. I merely stated that I want an EFI bike for 08. My current bike is barely being held together and I need a bike next year.

• loopsrider

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:47 AM

You have no clue what you are talking about. When I bought my first 250F, it took 6 months for anyone to come out with yellow backgrounds for it (I was in the B class at the time). I doubt all of the aftermarket companies have hop ups already for the EFI bikes. To make a hop up for one, they would have to get one from the manufacturer themselves to begin to improve on it. Trust me, no aftermarket company is sitting with an EFI YZ450 from yamaha in their shop. Changing a pipe or other mods will mess it up and it is not that easy to fix. Go to any quad forum (they have some with EFI out) and look at the problems guys are having with their EFI 450s with aftermarket pipes. They are trying all different maps and can't get them to run right. You're not gonna just plug it in and press the "fix it now" button and everything will be ok.

See my above post......

• FLjoyride

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:48 AM

How much weight will EFI add? If they add a battery they better add electric start (for in moto restarts) at the same time. I would rather spend my money on a revalve and diamond-like coating (DLC) for my forks.

Anybody clamoring for EFI hasn't sent their carb to Zip-Ty.

The battery is probably why they havent done EFI already.. but who knows they could come up with some sort of micro battery/capacitor to give the injectors that bit of energy to start the engine. There are other options.. and I'm sure they are working on them right now. Just wait once it's out for a couple years I'm sure it will be worth it.

• socal_sierra

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:49 AM

The battery is probably why they havent done EFI already.. but who knows they could come up with some sort of micro battery/capacitor to give the injectors that bit of energy to start the engine. There are other options.. and I'm sure they are working on them right now. Just wait once it's out for a couple years I'm sure it will be worth it.

My understanding is that the EFI systems wont have the need for a battery..

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • loopsrider

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:52 AM

6fiddy, go to a road race and tell me the EFI guys are not tweaking their fuel systems. Different system, different tools, that's all.

Exactly...

People are scared of something that isn't the norm. Funny thing is all the parts "interchange" too.

Instead of an accelerator pump you have a MAP sensor
Instaed of a choke you have a temp sensor
etc.....etc....

When people get their heads out of the sand they will realize that these systems are way easier than carbs. Trust me, I work on EFI every day. Wayyyyy simpler.

Instead of buying a box of jets....Go buy a scan tool/programmer........SIMPLE

• FLjoyride

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:54 AM

My understanding is that the EFI systems wont have the need for a battery..

That would be some nice bit of engineering.. Can't wait to see how they do it.

• socal_sierra

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:56 AM

That would be some nice bit of engineering.. Can't wait to see how they do it.

The ammount of electricity needed for a FI system isnt much.

• loopsrider

Posted May 10, 2007 - 05:59 AM

Most have to stay at a constant voltage however. A battery is needed to act as a buffer in the system to maintain constant voltage accross all conditions.

• FLjoyride

Posted May 10, 2007 - 06:01 AM

well you need a high pressure fuel pump (unless some things have changed a lot in the past couple years). the injectors don't take much but you will definitely need more coils on the stator. Then to get enough power from a couple kicks to pressurize the fuel system and initiate the sensors and injector..

• socal_sierra

Posted May 10, 2007 - 06:05 AM

Most have to stay at a constant voltage however. A battery is needed to act as a buffer in the system to maintain constant voltage accross all conditions.

Very true, i wonder if they can/will impliment some sort of capacitor to regulate the voltage.

From what ive heard however, they wont be using a battery in the system. But then again thats just what i've heard, but coming from some reliable sources. :applause:

• loopsrider

Posted May 10, 2007 - 06:09 AM

You have no clue what you are talking about. When I bought my first 250F, it took 6 months for anyone to come out with yellow backgrounds for it (I was in the B class at the time). I doubt all of the aftermarket companies have hop ups already for the EFI bikes. To make a hop up for one, they would have to get one from the manufacturer themselves to begin to improve on it. Trust me, no aftermarket company is sitting with an EFI YZ450 from yamaha in their shop. Changing a pipe or other mods will mess it up and it is not that easy to fix. Go to any quad forum (they have some with EFI out) and look at the problems guys are having with their EFI 450s with aftermarket pipes. They are trying all different maps and can't get them to run right. You're not gonna just plug it in and press the "fix it now" button and everything will be ok.

Also buddy.....

In most technological circles the big aftermarket companies DO get the products before the public. Ever heard of the SEMA show in the automotive industry. It is there to mostly showcase aftermarket accessories for upcomming models. Same thing (different shows) for motorcycles. It makes sense for manufacturers to do this. Most people buy a new bike and immediatly try to make it faster, lighter, etc... It's a major selling point when you are looking at a new model and the salesman says "We got the bike in last week and (insert aftgermarket brand name) already has a (insert go fast goodie here)"

Think about it...

• loopsrider

Posted May 10, 2007 - 06:10 AM

Very true, i wonder if they can/will impliment some sort of capacitor to regulate the voltage.

From what ive heard however, they wont be using a battery in the system. But then again thats just what i've heard, but coming from some reliable sources. :applause:

I dunno....Can't wait to see though:thumbsup:

• 6fiddy

Posted May 10, 2007 - 07:47 AM

Road race? No thanks, You guys can go on ahead and watch guys "fiddle" with their EFI's. I thought the point of having EFI was so you Didnt have to "fiddle" or "Re-Jet" or "rip you carb apart wasnt it? Hey my point is I dont want a new bike to cost me $10,000 in 3 years. And its not hard to dial in your carb anyway. Later-

• grayracer513

Posted May 10, 2007 - 08:44 AM

The Honda system does not have a battery, nor does the system that Polaris has been using.

For those who keep raising the issue of price, please realize that the carb on an '06 YZ450 retails for $970.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.