Fuel injection on the 08 YZ450F?

100 replies to this topic
  • loopsrider

Posted May 08, 2007 - 05:54 AM

Can't seem to get a straight answer and the previous thread got closed for some reason. I'm finding differing opinions on the net.

Does anyone have an idea if the 08 YZ450F will have EFI? Any links would be appreciated. It will determine if I go buy a bike next week or not, so any info would be appreciated.

thanks.

• 700MX

Posted May 08, 2007 - 06:11 AM

Can't seem to get a straight answer and the previous thread got closed for some reason. I'm finding differing opinions on the net.

Does anyone have an idea if the 08 YZ450F will have EFI? Any links would be appreciated. It will determine if I go buy a bike next week or not, so any info would be appreciated.

thanks.

I would not count on it......

• KJ790

Posted May 08, 2007 - 06:15 AM

Nope, yamaha said maybe '09 but it could be as late as 2010. The honda and suzuki 450s will have EFI in '08.

• Yamahafan

Posted May 08, 2007 - 06:57 AM

thanks.

It would be impossible for an EFI bike to have better throttle response than my 2006 450F with Zip-Ty carb mod and I know my bike will have greater reliability. I don't anticipate buying another bike until 2010, unless its an ultralight 350F with works suspension from the factory.

I think EFI will not live up to its hype, at least initially, much like Windows Vista.

• beanmop

Posted May 08, 2007 - 07:21 AM

Its lived up to its hype in tons of other sects of motorsports. I think it can help this one as well.

• KJ790

Posted May 08, 2007 - 07:25 AM

I just posted this in general:
http://www.thumperta...ad.php?t=504886

• grayracer513

Posted May 08, 2007 - 07:49 AM

Its lived up to its hype in tons of other sects of motorsports. I think it can help this one as well.

So do I. I've worked on EFI systems since the '70's, and I've seen it evolve to where it currently is. Once they get it right, you'll wonder why it took so long.

• kyle450rider

Posted May 08, 2007 - 08:09 AM

If they do go to EFI it wont be as great as everybody thinks.It wont be able to adjust to aftermarket parts like it should.You can already see this in the quad market.If you put on a new exhaust and airfilter you have to buy a new program to tune your scoot.

• WB450

Posted May 08, 2007 - 08:17 AM

It would be impossible for an EFI bike to have better throttle response than my 2006 450F with Zip-Ty carb mod and I know my bike will have greater reliability. I don't anticipate buying another bike until 2010, unless its an ultralight 350F with works suspension from the factory.

I think EFI will not live up to its hype, at least initially, much like Windows Vista.

Funny I was thinking the same thing about the Zip Ty throttle response vs EFI. I would like the auto elevation adjustments, and hot to cold adjustments of EFI.

• loopsrider

Posted May 08, 2007 - 05:08 PM

Thanks for the replies...

Guess I cross over to the Red bikes next year...

BTW It's kinda funny reading the responses to the "shock" of having to "switch over" to EFI. All I have to say is they will outperform, outlast, and will be easier to "hop up" than any carbuerated bike out there. People that are scared of EFI should edjumicate themselves on these very archaic and simple systems they plan to put on the bikes. They are the equivilent of the old/dated TBI vehicles of the early 90's. Just wait till they start to throw a little more real technology at them.

Also to those who feel it will be harder to "hop up" the bikes......WRONG. About the only difference is that instead of ripping your carb apart to change jetting, you will only have to punch a few numbers on a scan tool to modify fuel delivery. The aftermarket is probably already all over these bikes and have reprogramming modules/softwear that is calibrated and ready to go. All the pipe manufacturers and air filter manufacturers will be all over these companies wanting to flow match their softwear to pipe/filter packages.

Just wait till they get into variable valve timing and variable plenums!!! We will be 70-80 horsepower out of these bikes......easily

It's the threshhold of a very interesting time.....

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • almostinvincible119

Posted May 08, 2007 - 07:27 PM

hey guy....we dont need 70-80 hp outta these mothers. the pros already admit the bikes are too fast.

• KJ790

Posted May 08, 2007 - 08:12 PM

Thanks for the replies...

Guess I cross over to the Red bikes next year...

BTW It's kinda funny reading the responses to the "shock" of having to "switch over" to EFI. All I have to say is they will outperform, outlast, and will be easier to "hop up" than any carbuerated bike out there. People that are scared of EFI should edjumicate themselves on these very archaic and simple systems they plan to put on the bikes. They are the equivilent of the old/dated TBI vehicles of the early 90's. Just wait till they start to throw a little more real technology at them.

Also to those who feel it will be harder to "hop up" the bikes......WRONG. About the only difference is that instead of ripping your carb apart to change jetting, you will only have to punch a few numbers on a scan tool to modify fuel delivery. The aftermarket is probably already all over these bikes and have reprogramming modules/softwear that is calibrated and ready to go. All the pipe manufacturers and air filter manufacturers will be all over these companies wanting to flow match their softwear to pipe/filter packages.

Just wait till they get into variable valve timing and variable plenums!!! We will be 70-80 horsepower out of these bikes......easily

It's the threshhold of a very interesting time.....

You have no clue what you are talking about. When I bought my first 250F, it took 6 months for anyone to come out with yellow backgrounds for it (I was in the B class at the time). I doubt all of the aftermarket companies have hop ups already for the EFI bikes. To make a hop up for one, they would have to get one from the manufacturer themselves to begin to improve on it. Trust me, no aftermarket company is sitting with an EFI YZ450 from yamaha in their shop. Changing a pipe or other mods will mess it up and it is not that easy to fix. Go to any quad forum (they have some with EFI out) and look at the problems guys are having with their EFI 450s with aftermarket pipes. They are trying all different maps and can't get them to run right. You're not gonna just plug it in and press the "fix it now" button and everything will be ok.

• FLjoyride

Posted May 09, 2007 - 04:27 AM

You could buy an aftermarket fuel injection computer that can plug into your laptop (need steady 12V power supply).. then make your own throttle body or modify the carb, stick in some volkswagon sprayers and start doing the trial and error thing with a dyno. I've seen it done on a two stroke snowmobile engine and don't see why it couldn't be done on a four stroker.

• grayracer513

Posted May 09, 2007 - 08:42 AM

You have no clue what you are talking about.

So you're personally familiar with what loopsrider knows and doesn't know? The argument will have more credibility without the personal element.

Here's what I know. EFI is coming, whether anyone likes it or not. You can deal with that inevitability in either of two general ways; embrace it, adapt to it, and take advantage of it, or run screaming into the hinterlands lamenting that nothing will ever be the same.

One of the reasons, IMO, using history as a guide, the Yamaha is not rushing to the fore here is likely to be that they don't feel that what they have to offer currently meets their expectations. Wait and see what actually shows up on the bikes before you panic.

It will all depend on how much flexibility and sophistication they wanty to build into the systems. I've worked with software interfaces to GM's latest generation of sequential digital EFI that allow the user to tweak the fuel curve in just about any way one might imagine, and with a degree of control that would be nearly, if not actually, impossible with a carburetor, and would certainly be more time consuming. About the only limitation is the max delivery capabilities of the nozzles used. But, just as with a carb, the tech doing the work must be able to diagnose the problems he has correctly, or he will apply an incorrect solution to it, and get poor results.

Sophistication will be a major issue. A system with a full set of sensors on board can automatically compensate for virtually any change to the machine or its environment. This level of sophistication has been lacking up to now, primarily, again, IMO, because of the lack of market pressure for it. As many Quads and Sleds as are sold, the market for racing and modifying them doesn't have the financial influence that motorcycle racing does. When EFI gets into mainstream MX, someone will make it work, you can count on that. The sportbike community certainly has. :applause:

• Ga426owner

Posted May 09, 2007 - 09:19 AM

Well yami ain't coming out with it for 08 and I am glad.:applause: The reason probably is because they realize another year of R&D and quality control for it and the Battery system will be needed. Unlike the other manufacturers than are gambling on the 1st year success of it. :applause:

I would not want to be buying a first year EFI on any dirt bike. I think there is too many things to be sorted out before I lay down what probably will be 8000.00 or more for a EFI Dirtbike.....so you EFI want-to-bees please buy as many as you can get.....you be the guinea pigs....good luck:naughty:

• 6fiddy

Posted May 09, 2007 - 10:25 AM

HEY LOOPSRIDER ! ! !"instead of ripping your carb apart to change jetting,"......come on, re-jetting a carb isnt that hard at all. You take off the float bowl and loosen the manifold clamps so you can turn the carb toward you a little. Its been my experiance that the guys who know how to "dial in their bikes jetting and suspension" are the best riders, with the most experiance and are there to lend a hand to newbie's. They are the ones you want to hang with and they bring more to the riding area (advise/help)than anyone else. Hey, if you want to switch to a honda (a good bike no doubt) from a Yamaha because Yamaha doesnt have FI yet and you think you have to rip a carb apart and get your hands DIRTY ( 'oh the thought of that is ghastley isnt it!) Then you definatley deserve a honda. I mean if you read your thread it sounds like you want to punish Yamaha. My 06' is dialed in, I did it myself, It wont need to be again because its a set and forget kind of thing you know.I am proud to help others and show them how as well. If FI costs a lot more $$ than the proven set up I have now that is simple and serviceable by myself, That will suck. If riders didnt enjoy tweaking their bikes, this website would not exist would it? Fuel pumps, oxygen sensors, injectors, humidity sensors, barometric sensors, egr's,
Your bike wont run unless all of these things and more are in unison. Imagine yourself in 20 miles in Ocala National Forest, 97 degrees, and you O2 sensor fails or some shit. Simplicity is a huge benifit to dirt bikes. The ability to do it yourself is very cool and it gives you something to do when your injured and cant ride or if your in snow country. I just hope that the Manufactures dont over-tech our future bikes to the point we have to pay and pay to keep them operating right. Also, I hope the prices dont get outawhack with what i can afford to spend on my sons next bike. And remember, Nextell cup/ Nascar race cars use carburators. Dont be such a p-ssy, jet your bike, its fun when your done and it rips your arms off and your buddies want you to show them how to do it too. -JR

• 642MX

Posted May 09, 2007 - 10:38 AM

I can't wait for fuel injection. I've been around some of the Suzuki 450 quads that have it and the throttle response is amazing. It doesn't matter if its 0 degrees outside or 100 degrees, they run the same in any temp, in any condition.

I really don't see any downsides to EFI. If the CRF's come with it next year, I maybe changing colors. :applause:

• Wiz636

Posted May 09, 2007 - 11:00 AM

I can't wait for fuel injection. I've been around some of the Suzuki 450 quads that have it and the throttle response is amazing. It doesn't matter if its 0 degrees outside or 100 degrees, they run the same in any temp, in any condition.

I really don't see any downsides to EFI. If the CRF's come with it next year, I maybe changing colors. :applause:

I'm with you...bring it on! I love technology changes...

• Ga426owner

Posted May 09, 2007 - 12:19 PM

I can not see throttle response being much better than my 06 with a ZipTy carb modded carb. Some of you that are just plain lazy to jet your carbs correctly or too cheap or lazy to enhance what you already have....are missing out on how much better a 1 or 2 year old bike can be than a brand new bike that will take you months to get right just for you. EFI is not the end all...ie...best thing since man started moving sticks and rocks to make fire.:applause:

Sorry that ain't holding any water for me...soon and very soon MX bikes will be close to 10,000 dollars and it is because of all this great new technology....again I think EFI is cool - it works good when it is completely set up correctly to be efficient, reliable and less costly. For 08 you are taking a big chance on 1 or more of these things to not be 100%....it will be a gamble period :p

I would rather see more works like suspension technology myself. Even more than stock SSS....nothing beats a suspension that is completely tunable and contains all the trick gadgets and coatings that we do not see in a stock bike:thumbsup:

Come on rebuttle time......this is getting good and beats oil and tick tock threads :p :applause: :p

• 642MX

Posted May 09, 2007 - 12:41 PM

Some of you that are just plain lazy to jet your carbs correctly or too cheap or lazy to enhance what you already have....

I hope your not talking about me? I'm not the one who paid somebody for a carb mod. :applause:

My jetting is good. But, EFI is the next step in the industry. Technology is good. Imagine a bike that starts up and runs perfect no matter what the climate is. :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.