HELP: '93 XR650L stuck in 2nd gear

11 replies to this topic
  • machman

Posted May 08, 2007 - 05:47 AM

Hey guys,

Last night I took out my uni filter and installed a K&N pod filter. Stupid me, I forgot to install my K&N crank-case breather filter.

I took the bike for a ride in the dirt behind my house, then hit the pavement to come back home. The whole trip was about 10 minutes.

Just after I hit the pavement I couldn't shift my bike into any other gears. Eventually I got it into 2nd where it is still stuck. As far as the "feel" of the shifter leaver, it's all play and no action throughout the whole range of motion where it would normally switch gears. There is the normal spring tension in the arm that holds it in the middle, but moving it up or down is free, easy, and fruitless.

Can anyone tell me what the hell is wrong and tell me what I need to do to fix it? I'd really appreciate the input. I've got the shop manual and am quite capable but before now I've never considered opening up a transmission...

Cheers.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 08, 2007 - 07:58 AM

I'm not sure if the shift mechanism is behind the clutch cover, or if you have to split the cases.

The easy/silly thing to check is that the shifter is not slipping on the shaft.

Dave

• crmc33

Posted May 08, 2007 - 08:01 AM

It sounds like the sprung loaded changing arm is damaged.
This is internal to the main engine cases and requires a full strip down to sort. The crank cases have to be separated to get to it.
Its worth taking the left hand engine cover off to see if anything obvious has broken. You will need to take the clutch off to see enough to check it properly.

Hope it works out OK.

• machman

Posted May 08, 2007 - 10:46 AM

shite, anyone else?

• cleonard

Posted May 08, 2007 - 12:23 PM

Hate to say it, but it looks like you will be splitting the cases. I concur with crmc33 on the likely failure. I managed to split the cases on my XR600 without any special tools other than the flywheel puller, and that is just a bolt that threads into the flywheel. A impact wrench will help getting the three high torque fasteners. Those are the clutch hub, and both ends of the crank. They are all about 90 ft-lbs so they are not easy to get off.

I did as much disassembly as possible with the engine in the frame.

• xr500_89

Posted May 11, 2007 - 11:27 AM

check this out im pretty sure its the same thing http://www.crustyqui...rdselector.html

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • machman

Posted October 22, 2007 - 02:11 PM

I just split the cases last night and found my problem.

The gear shift spindle (shown here:)
Posted Image

is in perfect shape. It was just that the peice of metal on the top that has the two fingers on it wouldn't slide back and forth! IT WAS A LITTLE GUMMED UP , THAT'S IT! B) :applause:

I hit it with some WD40 and it freed right up. B) Ask me how irritated I am.B) :crazy: I could have tapped the motor with a hammer and fixed this problem...:bonk: :lol: B)

In any case, since I've got a transmission out of a 2000 already, and none of the gears are at all pitted like a few of mine are, I think I'll install it and all the other bits that came with it.

Oh well, at least I've got all the go fast bits!:D

• martinfan30

Posted October 22, 2007 - 02:22 PM

oh well, at least you got to know your pigs innards a little better!

• Denn10

Posted October 22, 2007 - 02:29 PM

learning the hard way pisses you off I KNOW but youll be relieved when its all over and a pro LOL

• machman

Posted October 23, 2007 - 06:22 AM

True dat.

I've always been of the mind that I'd rather take the time to learn how to do a job myself and spend the same money on my own tools to do a job than I would to pay someone else to do it for me.

...the Honda dealer did tell me I'd be near $1000 for this job. For the same money I've got all the tools AND a shit load of go fast bits for my bike.

...on the downside, I did have to give up a few months of riding while I got the money/parts collected and learned what to do...

I should say however, that this site has been invaluable during this whole experience.:crazy:

• Kawabuggy

Posted October 23, 2007 - 06:59 AM

I know this advise might be a little to the game-but I thought it might be relevant to anyone else in the same situation later that searches the forums and finds this thread..

You DO NOT have to pull the flywheel to do this job!
You CAN pull the valve cover, head, and jug with the engine still in the frame.

This makes it easier to lift just the bottom half of the engine out of the frame.

When I split my cases, the only thing I removed from the left side (as you sit on the bike) of the engine was the sprocket cover, sprocket, and shift lever. Everything else stayed on & intact. This made for a much faster turn around time.

• machman

Posted October 23, 2007 - 07:50 PM

I had to think about this for a minute thinking you were wrong. BUT, you are indeed correct. To bad you hadn't told me this last week:bonk: :bonk: :D

I'm just kidding, this'll be great advice for anyone else.:applause: :crazy:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

93 xr650l Restoration Project by Zigster

• 17 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

XR650L super moto wheels by greggkklee

• Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.