Rekluse stalling problems

13 replies to this topic
  • coulterk

Posted May 07, 2007 - 02:53 PM

I have a 06 YZ450 with a rekluse and left hand brake fitted. I am running a 168mj 48 pilot jet and adjustable mixture screw and ride in the 80 - 87 temp range and at under 500 feet elevation. I ride both MX and woods riding.

I am having problems with the bike stalling during tight woods riding when in on/off/on throttle riding in first gear, it stalls as you get back on the throttle. Sometimes it just dies and other times it bogs then dies. I believe it is a jetting problem and not a rekluse setup problem as the bike runs perfectly at MX tracks with no stalling.

I think it maybe getting to much fuel in the on/off/on throttle conditions. I had the rekluse fitted to my YZ426 and had similar problems, I solved the problem with the 426 by doing the BK mod is there a similar mod for the 06 450.

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreaciated.

Thanks

• GetSumBaby

Posted May 07, 2007 - 03:32 PM

Try turning the idle up.

Ed

• moochie

Posted May 07, 2007 - 03:51 PM

I've posted this in a number of recent Rekluse threads... I had the exact same problem after installing the z-pro model on my 450. I messed with the carb (including raising the idle) and couldn't rectify the problem. I ended up sending the carb to ZipTy for their $100.00 FCR mod and it cured the problem.

• mrmoto

Posted May 07, 2007 - 05:16 PM

My problem might be different (but still similiar).

I spoke to Charles at Rekluse. He shipped me (FREE) the L2 spring to replace the L1 spring that comes with the kit (fits under the Rekluse top retaining plate and the clutch plates). The theory is that this will allow me to turn up the idle some without engaging the clutch... and hopefully this will keep the bike from stalling during hard breaking.

Maybe this would work for you also. Yes, jetting could be the cause, but if you could increase the idle a little more, it may be cured..??

I'll be racing this setup on Saturday and will post the results.

• coulterk

Posted May 07, 2007 - 07:20 PM

I am not having any trouble with the bike stalling under heavy braking and then full on the gas like on a MX track. The problem is only when in really tight woods riding were I am on/off/on throttle that bike stalls as you give it power. Classic example is going over log, blip throttle to lift front wheel then close throttle as back wheel goes over log and then as I get back on power it stalls. The problem appears to get worse as the day warms up.

• GetSumBaby

Posted May 07, 2007 - 07:25 PM

I am not having any trouble with the bike stalling under heavy braking and then full on the gas like on a MX track. The problem is only when in really tight woods riding were I am on/off/on throttle that bike stalls as you give it power. Classic example is going over log, blip throttle to lift front wheel then close throttle as back wheel goes over log and then as I get back on power it stalls. The problem appears to get worse as the day warms up.

Sounds like jetting. You might want to post this in the jetting forum.

Ed

• grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2007 - 07:26 PM

The problem appears to get worse as the day warms up.

Try the 45 pilot. It sounds too rich. And the Zip-Ty mod will help.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted May 07, 2007 - 07:41 PM

Grays right. You want to be very lean with the Rekluses. If its not popping a little bit on deceleration.....its too rich.

• kxman

Posted May 07, 2007 - 09:09 PM

I was having the exact problem as you. I got so mad after chasing the jetting all over the place that I sold the Rekluse. Felt it was more trouble than it was worth.

• black_n_blue_thumper

Posted May 07, 2007 - 09:30 PM

I had the same problem for awhile. It got much much better with jetting, AP mod, quick shot and adjustable fuel screw. Still some days when the temp changes it still happens. I can always fix it with the fuel screw. :applause: I am still considering the Zip Ty carb job, I just hadnt heard about it before I did everything else. :applause:

• eazrider

Posted May 08, 2007 - 12:09 PM

Proper jetting is critical with the Rekluse. With a stock clutch, you whack the throttle and if you're not jetted correctly, it coughs, and because you are directly hooked to the rear wheel, inertia keeps the engine turning over. With the Rekluse, if it coughs, the engine stalls, clutch disengages, and you are DOA. The Rekluse exposes any jetting issues that may be present. I've found, with the lever adjuster, I can adjust the engagement point higher, and increase the idle a bit, which also hides some carb. issues. No more whacking the throttle going into a corner, as the AP loads up the intake with a shot of fuel, and it momentarily runs rich, and stalls, with the Rekluse. With a stock clutch, it isn't an issue, as the inertia of everything moving keeps the engine spinning until throttle is reapplied and off you go. It makes the rider become smoother rolling the throttle on and off, rather than hammering it, or blipping it right before entering a corner. (or hopping over that log in the trail) I love my Rekluse........

• coulterk

Posted May 08, 2007 - 01:32 PM

Thanks for the posts, I will try going leaner in the jetting and see how it goes. As I am from Australia I can not get the Zip Ty carb modification done.

• bigdrtrdr

Posted May 08, 2007 - 01:43 PM

Have you checked the "Top Plate" for wear?
Mine had wear marks from the balls traveling back and forth. and acasionally one ball would stick in the engaged position and stall the bike.
Had to replace the pressure plate, Balls and top plate.
No more stalling after that.

• moochie

Posted May 08, 2007 - 05:59 PM

Believe me, I had the same issue coming out of tight corners.

Prior to the rekluse, no problems.

After installing the rekluse, I'd give it some gas out of a tight corner and it would occasionally decide to sputter out and die.

Started out with a 48/168 jetting combo and dropped down to a 45/165 and every combination of turning my fuel screw in between. Good luck trying to adjust it out, possibly you'll have better luck than me.

The zipty mod fixed the issue for me and I've gone back to 48/168 jetting.

edit - oops just saw your second post saying that your in Australia. Guess the shipping on that would be a bit of pain to do the zipty thing during riding season.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.