Fat Tires (XRL)

9 replies to this topic
  • 07XR650L

Posted May 07, 2007 - 09:51 AM

What is the widest I can go on stock wheels? I want to go a little wider in the front as well as the rear. It looks like there is plenty of room up front... but it looks like I'll have to remove the chain guard to go wider in the rear.

One more question:
I've been looking at rim locks, are they really worth it? They aren't very expensive and if I run lower pressure it would be some added security.

• cleonard

Posted May 07, 2007 - 10:41 AM

I think that some of the 140 width rears fit. If I remember correctly even the Teraflex 150 will fit. There are not as many wider front tires, and I think that the largest I have seen is only 3.25 inches. That will fit just fine.

My understanding is that the rim lock is mainly for high speed riding. It keeps the tire on the rim so the wheel can keep turning. It is very important on the street. It gives you the chance to slow down before the tire wads up and gets stuck on the swingarm or some other part of the bike. I'm going to get another so I have two on the back.

• mrazekan

Posted May 07, 2007 - 10:52 AM

I mounted a Michelin Baja 140/80x18 without having to make any mods to neither the tire nor the bike.

• drop

Posted May 07, 2007 - 12:30 PM

Michelin sizes their tires differently (larger). Just because a 140 Michelin fits doesn't necessarily mean a 140 Dunlop will. The 140 Dunlop will be wider. Just a heads up.

• Manchu

Posted May 07, 2007 - 01:58 PM

The Pirelli 140 fits fine. No cutting required.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • kelleyseiler

Posted May 07, 2007 - 02:17 PM

I had a king 5.10 on mine.

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted May 07, 2007 - 02:18 PM

I think that some of the 140 width rears fit. If I remember correctly even the Teraflex 150 will fit. There are not as many wider front tires, and I think that the largest I have seen is only 3.25 inches. That will fit just fine.

My understanding is that the rim lock is mainly for high speed riding. It keeps the tire on the rim so the wheel can keep turning. It is very important on the street. It gives you the chance to slow down before the tire wads up and gets stuck on the swingarm or some other part of the bike. I'm going to get another so I have two on the back.

I thought I read that the Teraflex 150 was the Chinese version, and also the 150 was really the same size/width as the US-made 140? I also thought M&H used to sell both versions, but now I only see the 150: http://www.intercotire.com/site53.php

Rimlocks, to me, were always a dirt/trail necessity (but I see your street logic, too). If you get a flat on the trail, the rimlock will keep the deflated tire from just spinning on the rim (basically staying put on the ground while your engine torques the rim, spinning it). Climbing, rocks, roots. etc., all will be much more attainable if you have a rimlock in place. If you're a long way out in even moderately rough terrain, and don't have one, it could mean leaving your bike and walking.

• XR650L_Dave

Posted May 07, 2007 - 02:22 PM

Rimlocks are pretty important if you will be letting some air out of the tires. Rear is critical.

I didn't think the front really needed it, and when I had an MT21 it really didn't need it.

I went to a scorpion pro, then an MT80HD, and both of those sheared front stems on me.

Best rim locks out there, IMO, are the motion-pro.

Dave

• Phuzzy McPhuzzface

Posted May 07, 2007 - 02:29 PM

The Pirelli 140 fits fine. No cutting required.

x2. My MT-21 140 was a drop-in.

Check the garages for pix.

• xr650l bum

Posted May 08, 2007 - 05:37 AM

Rimlocks are so that the tire does not spin on the rim. If tire spins on the rim it tears the valve stem off = unrepairable flat.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Post Apocalypse, ThumperTalk style! by Justin Pearson

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  35 replies
Reviews

Honda XR650L 2017 by Chris.GVS

Honda XR650L 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

Fell Off Trailer by usafxr

• Hot  43 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.