Removing shrouds from tank - Bolts stripped

8 replies to this topic
  • Racing

Posted May 07, 2007 - 01:46 AM

Can anyone help me. The bolts that hold the shrouds to the tank on my YZ450 '05 is stripped and can't come loose. Think this is a common problem on these bikes. How do i go about? Want to fit new shrouds.

• sheeks

Posted May 07, 2007 - 09:32 AM

yeh one of mine has done the same thing

• 99raptor

Posted May 07, 2007 - 10:53 AM

Those phillips head screws are really soft aren't they?Since they're junk use a small very sharp chisel and try to turn it just a hair,sometimes once you free the little devil it'll turn with the screwdriver.If that doesn't work try grinding a slot with a cut-off wheel[small] to fit a standard screw driver.I hate easy outs and such but that would be a last resort.

• grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2007 - 11:31 AM

Your approach to this will depend a little on which bolt(s) is stuck, and to some extent, why. The ones in the recessed holes are more difficult to access. Then, too, if you are willing to butcher the shroud to get it off (depends on why you're replacing them), you can open up your options a little.

If the bolts were replaced by some that are too long, they may be jammed at the bottom of the threads, which will cause a separate set of problems.

But otherwise, one of the simplest ways to fix this is with a drill:
> Drill a 3/32" hole a short way down into the screw head. Phillips screws are easy to get centered on.

> Then, use a very sharp, left hand twist drill, and try to make the drill "stick" in the pilot hole you made. With luck, the drill will catch, and spin the screw out.

Other methods involve drilling the head off, and then unscrewing the stub with pliers, or with an "EZ-out", or drilling the washer under the bolt in a few places so that you can break it out from under the screw, loosening the tension on it. If you have access, or cut the shroud away, you can use the point of a small chisel at an angle to turn the screw.

Also, if it's only one that won't come out, you can remove all the others, and then, while applying what torque you can to the screw, rotate the entire shroud around the screw to snap it loose.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • todds924

Posted November 10, 2007 - 05:18 PM

Your approach to this will depend a little on which bolt(s) is stuck, and to some extent, why. The ones in the recessed holes are more difficult to access. Then, too, if you are willing to butcher the shroud to get it off (depends on why you're replacing them), you can open up your options a little.

If the bolts were replaced by some that are too long, they may be jammed at the bottom of the threads, which will cause a separate set of problems.

But otherwise, one of the simplest ways to fix this is with a drill:
> Drill a 3/32" hole a short way down into the screw head. Phillips screws are easy to get centered on.

> Then, use a very sharp, left hand twist drill, and try to make the drill "stick" in the pilot hole you made. With luck, the drill will catch, and spin the screw out.

Other methods involve drilling the head off, and then unscrewing the stub with pliers, or with an "EZ-out", or drilling the washer under the bolt in a few places so that you can break it out from under the screw, loosening the tension on it. If you have access, or cut the shroud away, you can use the point of a small chisel at an angle to turn the screw.

Also, if it's only one that won't come out, you can remove all the others, and then, while applying what torque you can to the screw, rotate the entire shroud around the screw to snap it loose.

Gray, i have seen many, many of the YZ's with this problem. It's always one of the rear shroud bolts too. I have seen the bolts so "stuck", that alot of PB blaster and an air gun won't break them loose. They can be removed though, sometimes you can even save the shroud but the shroud has to come off so you can get to where you need to work. Those brass inserts are very long. They are probably an inch long. I have been able to lightly trim away enough of the plastic on the side of the insert and grab ahold of it with some Snap-on Duckbill pliers. Then just blast the bolt out with the airgun. Whatever you do, don't pull the whole bolt and insert out of the tank!!!!!!! You will NEVER get it back in.

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2007 - 06:36 PM

Whatever you do, don't pull the whole bolt and insert out of the tank!!!!!!! You will NEVER get it back in.

It's actually not so hard to do, but that technique should definitely be a last resort.

Yet another method to try if you are both skilled and lucky is to us a .060-.080" drill to drill at an angle through the plastic adjacent to the insert and into the insert itself, stopping before you intersect the threads. Then flip the drill bit over and push it back in, using it as a pin to hold the insert while you try again to free the bolt.

• todds924

Posted November 10, 2007 - 07:41 PM

It's actually not so hard to do, but that technique should definitely be a last resort.

Yet another method to try if you are both skilled and lucky is to us a .060-.080" drill to drill at an angle through the plastic adjacent to the insert and into the insert itself, stopping before you intersect the threads. Then flip the drill bit over and push it back in, using it as a pin to hold the insert while you try again to free the bolt.

I had a guy bring me a tank that he pulled both inserts out of both sides at the rear mouting points. They will go back in.................. i'm not a big fan of using epoxy to Glue um back in.

• grayracer513

Posted November 10, 2007 - 07:45 PM

I had a guy bring me a tank that he pulled both inserts out of both sides at the rear mouting points. They will go back in.................. i'm not a big fan of using epoxy to Glue um back in.

It really isn't an ideal solution, is it? Sometimes, though, it's that or a new tank.

• todds924

Posted November 10, 2007 - 08:02 PM

It really isn't an ideal solution, is it? Sometimes, though, it's that or a new tank.

Yes sir. I prefer things that are PROPER though. Sometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do. Not on my machine though.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

The "going back to the other darkside" adventure... by Monk

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250/350/450/505 SX-F & XC-F (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  94 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.