XR650R...Unabiker or Devol rad guards?

11 replies to this topic
  • Mescalero

Posted May 06, 2007 - 08:56 PM

Which of the two to go with?

• -Robbie-

Posted May 06, 2007 - 11:38 PM

I have the Devol and they have worked well so far, been down a few times with no damage (side impact seems very good) and they dont seem to make the bike run any hotter.I havent used the unibiker gaurds or even seen them on a bike so I cant comment on them.
Robbie

• XRR-kat

Posted May 07, 2007 - 06:06 AM

Same question,
Did the research
Some negatives on Devol
No negatives on Unabiker
Looked at site pics of both
Bought the Unabiker last Thursday.

Checkout the materials used (thickness); how it's designed - I wanted something to prevent pe (parallelogram effect) and not obstruct a Moriwaki exhaust I am installing (conflicts with the beefy Fluidynes).

Unabiker is robust design, materials, and assembly, looks to provide pe protection as well as fold back protection and crush protection. YMMV:)

• Agent2

Posted May 07, 2007 - 07:29 AM

Unabiker - built like a brick s*******e. No overheating problems. Prepare to do a little cursing when installing them.

• porterdog

Posted May 07, 2007 - 03:29 PM

Prepare to do a little cursing when installing them.

Correct. Get the ball-end allen keys as suggested in the instructions.

• Billahjack

Posted May 07, 2007 - 04:19 PM

Devol guards suck for overheating. If you are going slow, they block air and you boil over. Devols do fit over Fluidyne radiators but I wouldn't see why you would want both.

I haven't seen the other guards. American Honda says to use the stock plastic deflectors for best cooling.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • PowerFiend

Posted May 07, 2007 - 08:16 PM

(conflicts with the beefy Fluidynes).

Unabiker is robust design, materials, and assembly, looks to provide pe protection as well as fold back protection and crush protection. YMMV:)

Did you experience the confliction with the fluidynes? If so, how did you get around it?

• XRR-kat

Posted May 08, 2007 - 04:54 AM

I was alerted to the Moriwaki exhaust - Fluidyne conflict by the renowned XR650R afficianado and world traveler, "Gaspipe".:applause: :applause: He has a couple of XRRs along with a score of other bikes and has been a huge resource of Dual Sporting for the XRR community. See "Advrider.com".

In my search for the Mori exhaust and finally repairing/preventing another "pe" to my rads I mentioned plans to replace them with Fluidynes, when GP gave me a heads up. Consequently, I got replacement rads and the Unabiker Rad Guards. BTW, just got the guards last night and they are gorgeous (red anodized) and stout !!! Also found one of my old computer fans from when I used to overclock PCs and will try to fit it on the back of the rad.

The Unabiker has one rod, of five on each rad, that runs across the back middle of the radiator and I'm hoping it does not interfere with the Mori headers. To be continued.

• Billahjack

Posted May 09, 2007 - 01:29 PM

Did you experience the confliction with the fluidynes? If so, how did you get around it?

The Fluidynes have adjustable (slotted) brackets.

Many aftermarket headers come really close to the right radiator lower tank portion with the front wrap-around pipe. I usually use a doubled up piece of header wrap that is wire-tied onto the pipe for insulation. PowerPomb headers touch the Fluidyne radiators. Moriwaki touch the stock radiators.

• jesusgatos

Posted May 09, 2007 - 04:25 PM

Unabiker's radiator guards for the 650R are BURLY. I recently installed a set and was really impressed with the overall quality. I had a couple of small fitment issues that I was able to resolve by slotting one hole and making a small bracket to avoid interference with the Pro Circuit head pipe on the left side. I talked to Brian about these issues though, and he told me that he'd adjust his drawings so people shouldn't have any problems in the future.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

• Mescalero

Posted May 09, 2007 - 07:23 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I have both and will install the Unibikers.

• pigryder

Posted May 10, 2007 - 03:49 PM

just my opinion guys but I love my devol guards on the R, no fitment issues at all and to say the least I have put them threw three years of offroading hell :applause: I ride tight nargly stuff on the hot summer PA days and never had my bike overheat ever! and I have never bent a guard or rad, just my opinion fellas :applause:

Related Content

Forums
Photo

DirttyPig 2005 Xr650l Prroject! by braapmebb1moretime

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   XR600/650
  • 22 replies
Forums
Photo

Wiseco 101MM Spark Knock Low Engine Temps by imandrewparks

• 7 replies
Forums
Photo

ignitech programmable XR650L CDI by brianhare

• Hot  60 replies
Forums
Photo

2015 XR650L Squeaking noise by Crayjay

• 3 replies
Forums
Photo

Would a Young Scott Summers still be Competitive today on an XR600R? What would he ride to be competitive today? by Jayzonk

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  158 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.