Question on changing gears on a 4-stroke?

13 replies to this topic
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:22 PM

Ever now and then during a race I catch my self down shifting either in the air or sometimes on the ground without pulling in the clutch on my 06 450f. I did this kind of downshifting when I had yz 125-250 two-stroke but was woundering on a 4-stroke is this bad while racing during the heat of passion when your arms are tired and you can barely hold on> your should you try no matter what and pull the clutch in to change to a lower gear instead of just mashing the gear shifter down? Will this hurt anything?:applause:

• Kasjok

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:27 PM

no clutch needed! Just chop the throttle a bit before upshifting.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:29 PM

and it wont hurt anything? Even on down shifting.

• Racer24

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:38 PM

• Racer24

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:41 PM

also search clutchless shifting....

i have done a lot of research and i have learned a lot about Constant Mesh transmissions. go onto the site that i provide.

when downshifting without the clutch, you need to let off the throttle but no completely, you need to apply just a little bit of throttle to match the engine speed and the speed at which the bike is when you downshift, it will make a smoother transition as well as prevent the gears from grinding due to the load or torque put on the gears. You will know if you did it wrong if you feel a sudden shift in momentum and a sudden feel of going over the bars.

• Racer24

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:50 PM

for upshifts i dnt use the clutch and all i do is let off, shift, and then get back on the gas. No need to match the rpm's to the speed the bike is moving (neutral speed; applying gas but not gaining any speed is a sign that the speed of the engine is close to the speed of the bike). doesnt really need to be exact....the important thing is there is no load.

Im not saying switch to clutchless shifting, it depends on the riders style, i dnt use it on upshifts but i usually use it for downshifts, buts thats me. Everyone else is different, with the clutch, you can eliminate the fear of adding any load to the transmission. But im just saying it won't harm anything, so its ok to do, but just ride the bike the way you want to

• BergArabia

Posted May 07, 2007 - 10:23 AM

Would down shifting in the air have any effect on the gyroscopic force on the rear tire.. I mean causing it to spin slow and possibly induce an endo effect?
Just wondering?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2007 - 11:54 AM

That's not gyroscopic, but yes, dropping a gear is like tapping the brake, but not as effective, because the change in speed is less (slower, vs. stopped), and will drop the nose just a little.

• Racer24

Posted May 07, 2007 - 01:07 PM

i never used that technique to bring the front end down, especially on the 4 strokes, but i remeber on the 85's the nose would be high up and i would have to kiss the fender basically....and it wasnt the body position, its the weight of the front end and the speed that i was going to clear gaps.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 07, 2007 - 08:52 PM

Good info Racer24!!!! I rarely upshift without the clutch but I downshift often without useing the clutch. After reading your info Iam downshifting without the clutch quiet well I just didnt know if this was harmfull or not but now I understand it more and feel more comfortable about it.

• Racer24

Posted May 07, 2007 - 08:59 PM

Good job....just take it easy...i think its a little bit harder when it comes to downshifting...really when you apply some gas to match the speeds its usually around 1/4 throttle. In the Crf250r forum i said the same thing i told you...

Also my gearing ratio made 2nd and 3rd more useful by making it "longer," so now it feels like i dnt have to upshift right way and i dnt hit the rev limit very fast. Now i can pretty much carry through most turns in 2nd or 3rd with little or no clutch and i barely have to downshift. Coming off from a 2 stroke, 4 strokes have a lot more torque to carry through in each gear. I moved down in the rear to a 47 for my kx250f....i also used a 49, and that made more acceleration but 2nd and 3rd, mostly 2nd couldnt be used in turns

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 07, 2007 - 09:09 PM

Yea I usually take it easy when downshifting>I do it normally when Iam in the air off of a jump that leads into a tight corner where a lower speed is needed.

• Racing

Posted May 08, 2007 - 12:56 AM

The Yamaha 450 has one of the nicest gearboxes ever in my opinion. I do supermoto and rarely use any clutch for up or downshifting. My bike is a '05 model and only had to replace the box once in two and a half seasons of hard racing. Even under full load one can just hit next gear without clutch. I know this sounds very harch but most of the time i use it like this with no problems.

• djtroy

Posted May 08, 2007 - 09:47 AM

if your downshifting its because you need to slow down. If you need to slow down you should be breaking. If your breaking the clutch should be pulled in anyways.

Related Content

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  35 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Need help by Goforaride

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  68 replies

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.