Dirttrack 07 450

16 replies to this topic
  • Murmy26x

Posted May 06, 2007 - 06:35 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

My 2007 Yamaha 450 set up for Dirt Track.

Racing the 2007 AMA Grand National Dirttrack Singles series.

60hp.

Cycra Powerflow Rad Shrouds
Cycra Powerflow Rear Fender
Cycra Powerflow Front Fender
Powersport Grafix
RHC Head
RHC grind Web Cam
RHC Bored Carb
CP 13:1 Piston
Supertrapp Exhaust
K&N X-Stream Air Filter
BoughnerRacing.com Suspension
WM4.5 Width Wheels front and rear by Santa Fe Motors
Hinson BTL Slipper Clutch
Universal Motocross CR High Bars

- Steve Murray
www.stevemurrayracing.com

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:34 PM

Let me know if you need someone to ride it in a Vets race. :applause:

But, explain to an old flat tracker/speedway rider who rode Ascot Park with no brakes why you'd want a slipper clutch.

• Murmy26x

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:49 PM

stop and go tt's it makes a huge difference on your line consistency during downshifts and lets you brake much later. goes through the square edge bumps without upsetting the chassis as much.

If you raced at Ascot without brakes then dirt track sure has changed alot. At some tracks the slipper isn't as useful and will be taken out.

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2007 - 09:54 PM

Yeah, I can see it on a TT track, I suppose, But looking at it there without the front brake, I was thinking half mile, etc. Couldn't imagine that without good engine braking.

Best film of my era I can think of is in "On Any Sunday". Get a copy and check out the footage of Mark Breslford working the turns at the San Jose Mile. No brakes allowed.

I've often wished I could take a YZ450 back in time to my local TT races, and just run it in the open class with all the twins. They'd never know what hit 'em.

• torqueme

Posted May 07, 2007 - 09:37 AM

That is one beautiful ride. Good luck in the series.

• BergArabia

Posted May 07, 2007 - 10:06 AM

That is one beautiful ride. Good luck in the series.

What he said..
So what tires are those on there?

• grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2007 - 11:50 AM

They look like Dunlop K180's, special for the purpose. Didn't have stuff like that back in the day. We had to use regular road tires like the K70 or Pirelli's and cut them to suit the surface.

• kawirider

Posted May 07, 2007 - 01:20 PM

Wow that thing looks like a rocket! I imagine it does somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-110 mph right?

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • twenty34

Posted May 07, 2007 - 06:30 PM

Can you give me an idea of how well the High Compression piston works? How did it alter your HP and power delivery?

• Stripes123

Posted May 15, 2007 - 08:10 AM

Now we just need a picture of you dragging the radiator :applause:

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2007 - 02:14 PM

Something like this one:

Posted Image

• probikerguy2

Posted May 15, 2007 - 03:48 PM

hey murmy what size wheels are those?? im currently working on a dirttrack project myself

• Stripes123

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:31 PM

Something like this one:

Posted Image

Close, but there is an older one of Steve on a CRF that is totally sick

• grayracer513

Posted May 15, 2007 - 07:47 PM

Close, but there is an older one of Steve on a CRF that is totally sick

What I'd really like to see is today's half-milers at the old Ascot Park. Even with the stuff we had back in the day, you had to build everything on the left side as far up and in as you could get it, even on the singles. The traction was phenomenal, actually better than a lot of asphalt. Turn the front wheel in and roll the gas on, great fun.

• Racegun

Posted May 16, 2007 - 01:53 AM

can you tell me what diameter rims and both tire sizes , also exactly how much has the front /rear suspension been lowered? thanks...

• Stripes123

Posted May 16, 2007 - 07:28 AM

can you tell me what diameter rims and both tire sizes , also exactly how much has the front /rear suspension been lowered? thanks...

Dirt Track wheels are 19"

• grayracer513

Posted May 16, 2007 - 08:52 AM

What part of that string contains the diameter?

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.