Pinging/knocking?

6 replies to this topic
  • BrianM500EXC

Posted May 06, 2007 - 06:09 PM

Just rode my new for me '04 WR450. Noticed if I give it a lot of throttle at low revs, it sounded like it was pinging/knocking. Is this common? Advice?

Thanks!

• toyota_mdt_tech

Posted May 06, 2007 - 06:41 PM

Just rode my new for me '04 WR450. Noticed if I give it a lot of throttle at low revs, it sounded like it was pinging/knocking. Is this common? Advice?

Thanks!

No, it needs higher octane fuel. That engine has a 12.5:1 compression ratio and requires 95 octane. But I run 92 pump gas and never heard it ping. Make sure you are not hearing chain slap.

• BrianM500EXC

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:52 PM

No, it needs higher octane fuel. That engine has a 12.5:1 compression ratio and requires 95 octane. But I run 92 pump gas and never heard it ping. Make sure you are not hearing chain slap.

Thanks - I'll try some octane boost and see if that helps - only 92 octane in CA.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WR450RICKO

Posted May 07, 2007 - 10:30 AM

91/92 octane is fine

• gregwr450f

Posted May 07, 2007 - 03:04 PM

I use an octane booster in mine, if I don't it sounds like it's going to fall apart.

• MountainMax

Posted May 07, 2007 - 04:00 PM

you may be hearing your chain slapping also, there is a fix for this by putting silicone under your chain guard on the swingarm

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 07, 2007 - 07:15 PM

I bought my 07' brought it home and did not even ride it till I did the free mods... I got em' done and went for a ride around the neighborhood and experienced some horrendous pinging and knocking

It was the gas :applause: :applause: :p

Yes chain slap to the untrained ear could sound like engine knock too....

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.