Filter screen

6 replies to this topic
  • The Italian Stallion

Posted May 06, 2007 - 03:07 PM

I was going to cut out my backfire screen on my bike the other day but I figured I'd ask some of use guys that have done it if it makes a damn bit of differance.

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2007 - 03:41 PM

According to the crew that worked over Doug Henry's '03 YZ450 SM ride, they tried a number of different air box configurations, including the two-stroke filter cage, and removing the screen had no measurable effect. Their conclusion was that the filter is more restrictive than the screen is, and my own tests have had the same results.

If you succumb to the folklore and try it anyway, I'd advise against cutting out the screen, as there is a risk of a loose piece of wire falling out of it. Better to just buy the cage from a YZ125/250.

• cablemonkey334

Posted May 06, 2007 - 06:58 PM

better us a backfire proof filter one of the y.o.t bike burned to the ground because they just used a two stroke cage an a normal filter.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Racer24

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:53 PM

No there is no gain what so ever, maybe a tiny bit, but not enough to feel. I suggest keeping it on, cause a simple backfire can cause the filter to catch on fire, especially with the filter oil (flammable )

• Ga426owner

Posted May 07, 2007 - 07:28 AM

on my 03 I use the twinair powerfilter cage (no wire) and fireproof does breathe a little better - there is no worry of this filter catching fire -

• El Marko

Posted May 07, 2007 - 07:36 AM

Use the TwinAir black filter and dump the screen. Probably will not notice a difference, but it's a little less weight and hassle.

• grayracer513

Posted May 07, 2007 - 08:01 AM

on my 03 I use the twinair powerfilter cage (no wire) and fireproof does breathe a little better

Any improvement in breathing would have come from the filter itself. Twin Airs do flow a little better than some others, and I have seen dyno results that show nearly 1 full hp on a 450 going from a stock element to a Twin Air or White Bros. Either of these is still more restrictive than the flame screen.

... it's a little less weight and hassle.

That's funny. Hassle? :applause:

Related Content

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

• 0 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.