electrical gremlins, geniuses needed

6 replies to this topic
  • ToxicT

Posted May 06, 2007 - 12:33 PM

OK you gotta laugh, and I might pull my hair out and feel stupid.
here goes,

o1 wr 426 - now 444 eric gorr kit
bike was running 9 months ago but after pulling the cylinder I found piston scoring.
fairly clean rebuild and after putting the engine back in the bike, no spark when grounded to exhaust.
test procedure,
new plug
check resistance
1. ignition primary coil .3 ohms
2. ignition secondary coil 11.5K ohms
3. cap pulled from lead 9.5K ohms (spotty reading new cap purchase 62$)
4. CDI magneto pickup 279 ohms
5. source 1 745 ohms
6. source 2 545 ohms
7 neutral switch 1st gear infinite
neutral inf
2nd continuity 0 ohms
3rd 0 ohms
4th inf
5th inf
so i think everything i can check is within spec. except for neutral switch
but I thought neutral switch wouldn't kill the spark completely
cleaned all connections with elec contact cleaner, blown with compressed air ground on ignition coil cleaned.
manual shows no procedure for voltage regulator, is that just for the headlight?
then there is the CDI?
is there anything i might have missed when installing the flywheel something that triggers the ignition?
I'm pretty confident the timing chain and cams are all lined up per the manual
i'm getting ready to tear open the conduits to look for open wires.
all thoughts are welcome, so if you view this post please throw in your ideas please!
thanks Toxic T (dying to go ride)

• Birdy426

Posted May 06, 2007 - 06:45 PM

Gotta be a missed/wrong connection somewhere...maybe a ground left off? If you measure betwen the input wire to the coil and ground, you should see a voltage pulse as you kick the bike over. Not sure how much, but at least you will know that you're getting electrons to the coil (or not).

• ToxicT

Posted May 06, 2007 - 09:26 PM

Momentary voltage flashed at the ignition input to the tune of a half volt DC.
Glimmer of light at the head light.
can anybody come up with a list of frame tie in grounds.
case tie in.
anybody have a component that tested per the shop manual but was still bad?
P.S> birdie did i see on my searches you recently completed a rebuild and kicked it over on the fourth try? nice.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • ToxicT

Posted May 07, 2007 - 04:19 PM

come on people i'm getting ready to start throwing expensive parts at a bike that isn't worth all that much.
i see 50 views and one responce.

• WR_Dave

Posted May 07, 2007 - 05:11 PM

I'm not sure where your problem lies, but the neutral start is just a switch to tell the CDI when the bike is in neutral so it can put the rev limiter into play. I cut those wires off completely on my old '02 WR. You should be able to follow the wiring harness in the manual and find all the ground points. If you don't have a manual you can download one from the WR Performance sticky at the top of this forum. I had to replace the CDI on my '02 a few years ago because the bike wouldn't startr anymore. If that's the case :applause: (worst Case) then I would replace it with a Vortex X10 CDI box. Hopefully you just have a wire pushed back out of one of your connectors or a wire rub to ground etc. Sorry for not much help.:applause: Have you tried a new spark plug? WR Dave

• ToxicT

Posted May 07, 2007 - 06:08 PM

thanks dave,
It's running!!
after getting a new cap I cut off a quarter inch of the lead to the plug and no spark. my brother just pulled the ignition coil off a 79 xr 250 and we put it in the wr, it sparked. OK bad ignition coil that tests good. but my bro suggests cleaning up the igntion coil, he cuts off another quarter inch of the lead, try for a spark and surprise good spark!
the engine sounds great.

• WR_Dave

Posted May 07, 2007 - 07:57 PM

Good to know,, glad you got it sorted, have fun with the 444:applause: WR Dave.

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.