99 YZ400f Backfiring and Lingering Idle

3 replies to this topic
  • Gizler00

Posted May 05, 2007 - 08:48 PM

My 400f backfires when you let off the throttle from a rev and it will hang high for a second or two before dropping down to idle. Now i have been told that this might me an air leak but im not sure. I also have a hard time starting the bike. I kicked it today for about 15 min straight and no start just backfired two times. Im not sure if its out of timing or not. I also need to check to see what size jets I have in it. Any help or suggestions would be great.

• Florida_426

Posted May 06, 2007 - 12:13 PM

If the valves are in spec I'd agree with an air leak or that it is jetted really lean. I had air leak problems in 03 and since then I have kept an eye on things related to intake and the intake bell's o-ring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • Gizler00

Posted May 06, 2007 - 03:36 PM

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I am going to tear into the carb this week and see whats going on. I checked the timing earlier today and it is correct. I think that the carb is clogged up with something. Thanks for all the help.

• grayracer513

Posted May 06, 2007 - 03:42 PM

You could be right, but don't overlook your valve clearance.

Related Content

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies

2016 YZ450 by CaptainKnobby

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Technical Forums   Suspension
  • Hot  59 replies

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply

100 hrs on 2014 yz450f, shim valves or replace them? by ttr230rider6

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  79 replies

Help with 2000 yz426 by weekend woods racer

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  36 replies

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.