Sprocket Question

3 replies to this topic
  • YamahaYZ426F

Posted May 05, 2007 - 05:03 PM

I have a 2001 yz426f and need to get a new sprocket soon and whanted to know about the gearing stuff like if i put a bigger sprocket on well it give me more top end power or what well it do and if i put a smaller sprocket on it what well it do stuff like that i would like to know and if i order a new sprocket what kind should i get i don;t have a lot of money so renthal is out of the question and also if i buy a new sprocket do i need to get a new chain thanks. :applause:

• Florida_426

Posted May 05, 2007 - 05:13 PM

Many of the 426 riders I know run a 51 - 14 or a 50 - 14 combination. I ran the 51 rear for several years with no problems. The larger rear lowered the top end but gave the power more low punch for drive out of corners and acceleration.

A larger rear will lower the ratio and less top end, easier revs result. A larger will give more top end and less explosive power. What you choose depends on where you ride, the type of riding you are doing and your own experience. The front is the opposite in effect from the rear. A quick rule of thumb is three teeth on the rear equals 1 on the front. Not exact but close for quick calculation of what to do.

Check the Thumper Talk store for their prices on sprockets and chains. Sun Star or another brans should save you a little. However remember you get what you pay for. Iron Man or Vortex are excellent sprockets and will last a long time.

I always replace the chain and sprockets as a package. Some do, some don't up to you. Good luck with your 426, I love mine.

Bill

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • YamahaYZ426F

Posted May 05, 2007 - 05:31 PM

Thanks for the info and what kind of sprocket do u use.

• Florida_426

Posted May 05, 2007 - 07:09 PM

Renthal or Sun Star, usually the Renthal super light rear, their standard front and their R-1 chain. MX only so I don't use an O or X ring chain.

Bill

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

Michigan Motocross Tires by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   North
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.