Spark Plug Trick?

11 replies to this topic
  • butcharin

Posted May 05, 2007 - 04:59 PM

I have a 1985 XR600R and it runs pretty good. I haven't had it for long and it's a bike I'm building up. When I was trying to change the plug, I couldn't get my 18mm plug wrench down in there to pull the plug. Is there a trick to getting it? :applause:

• HeadTrauma

Posted May 05, 2007 - 05:17 PM

You may need to put the socket in on top of the plug and then plug the ratchet into the socket. After the plug is loose, take the ratchet out and use the socket to turn the plug. A piece of rubber hose also works as a "snake" to get the plug out easier.

• Bibleman

Posted May 05, 2007 - 05:19 PM

Yes, since my socket doesn't have the foam grabby stuff inside I'm using a piece of hose that fits snugly over the end of the spark plug. It works good, but I'm always wondering if there's any dirt sitting down in there ready to fall into the cylinder.

• HeadTrauma

Posted May 05, 2007 - 05:22 PM

A thorough hit with some aerosol brake cleaner could probably take care of any loose crud waiting to fall into the cylinder. Just don't get it near any paint. I'm not sure it take off the black engine paint on an '85, though.

• HawkGT

Posted May 05, 2007 - 08:51 PM

A lot of 18mm sockets won't fit cause they're too fat. A thin wall socket should fit. Sometimes the cheapee off-brand sockets have thinner construction and will fit. I had the same issue with an XR400R and found the plug wrench that came in the tool kit actually worked best.

If a cheapee 18mm socket won't fit and you don't have any thin walled sockets then I'd just grind the cheepee down some. If you want to buy a purpose made plug wrench for your bike then motion pro makes them (in addition to the OEM tool kit plug wrenches).

• yamaha426rider

Posted May 05, 2007 - 09:05 PM

:applause: I have a 1996 xr 600 and the plug is down deep had to buy a cheapy
long thin plug wrench no rachet just use screwdriver through hole top of socket
break it lose & do rest buy hand blow off cylinder with compresed air if you can...............:applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • WY XR650L

Posted May 06, 2007 - 05:40 AM

I had the same problem with my 99' 650 L. I found a Craftsman sparkplug socket works great.

• Firelyle

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:17 AM

get the correct plug wrench...makes life way easier! 94 600R

• focallength

Posted May 06, 2007 - 12:16 PM

you need to get one of those capucin monkeys. Its a bit of an investment but their little monkey hands can get into every nook and cranny no problem.:applause:

• HeadTrauma

Posted May 06, 2007 - 01:09 PM

So it's a "monkey" wrench?

• butcharin

Posted May 07, 2007 - 05:05 PM

I like the monkey idea but don't think I can afford it. :applause: I am going to turn down a cheep plug wrech tomarrow on the lathe. Thanks all!:applause:

• kellismechanic

Posted May 09, 2007 - 02:24 PM

Stock plug wrench is the best way to go, bar none:thumbsup:

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.