03 wr450 for offroad racing?

12 replies to this topic
  • fordman

Posted May 05, 2007 - 01:43 PM

Hello
I just got a 2003 wr450 and was thinking about getting into some desert type hare scrambles. Would the wr hold up against the comp. never been to one so I dont know what ppl ride on these races. Any help would be very much appericated
thanks
matt

• ARin

Posted May 05, 2007 - 01:47 PM

Hello
I just got a 2003 wr450 and was thinking about getting into some desert type hare scrambles. Would the wr hold up against the comp. never been to one so I dont know what ppl ride on these races. Any help would be very much appericated
thanks
matt

um.....YA!:applause:

the 03-04 are offroad monsters. have fun!!:applause:

• fordman

Posted May 05, 2007 - 09:30 PM

Does anyone here race these kind of races on a wr? If so what should I look at doing to the bike last owner had done the free mods and installed a yz450f exhaust. Does that exhaust have a usfs approved spark arrester?
thanks
matt

• bg10459

Posted May 06, 2007 - 05:49 AM

I raced my 03 WR450 in an eastern hare scramble last year and hopefully in some scrambles and enduros this year, as well.
I have a YZ exhaust, but it doesn't have a spark arrestor, so I got a DRD spark arrestor encap.

• ARin

Posted May 07, 2007 - 02:35 PM

ive raced my 04 (same as 03) in some harescrables. depending on the rules of the sanctioning body, you may need a spark arrestor.

if the bike is running good and strong, dont do anything to it but keep the oil and air filter clean, and make sure your rad is topped off.

GO RACE!

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 07, 2007 - 07:10 PM

I raced my 04' off road for a series and a half.... actually just took it on a play ride yesterday and I still love that bike!

In the northwest our hare scrambles and GP's are 75% single track, technical type terrain and 25% is open country some desert type stuff... Anyway the WR has more than proven itself at this level... the WR is marketed for the recreational racer... it's an awesome bike.

In the NMA (WA State sanctioning body), you not only have to have a SA but you also have to be 98db or less for noise so you might want to check into that before you go pay to enter a race....

If not on the bike already I would do the following... Skid plate, bark busters, rear shark fin, HD Tubes, maybe a CFC clutch cover guard.... bottom line, racing is hard on a equipment so protect the fragile stuff knowing that you have the toughest most dependable motor out there!

Now go eat some Pumpkins :applause:

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 1BLUEsky

Posted May 07, 2007 - 07:49 PM

WRs love open terrain ,or maybe their riders do ,but anyway get some good radiator guards,hand guards,and a skid plate for basics.Look into susp.work and steering dampers next.Have fun ,i hope to be doing more of this myself!

• fordman

Posted May 07, 2007 - 08:21 PM

maybe this is a dumb question but what is a rear shark fin?? the sound rule for this area is 96db with the yz exhaut do yall think I will have a problem passing that test? I will be racing in the novice class (never been in a race before) so hopfully I will be alright. any advice for the actual riding part of it?
thanks again yall are awesome
matt

• xrmarty

Posted May 07, 2007 - 09:30 PM

maybe this is a dumb question but what is a rear shark fin??

It's a guard for your rear brake rotor. Most bikes now days come with plastic ones. All the aftermarket ones that I've seen are made of aluminum.

• Just_a_trail_rider

Posted May 07, 2007 - 11:15 PM

Does anyone here race these kind of races on a wr? If so what should I look at doing to the bike last owner had done the free mods and installed a yz450f exhaust. Does that exhaust have a usfs approved spark arrester?
thanks
matt

yep.... I race enduros and desert scrambles in socal on my wr450. That bike was built to handle this sort of thing. Its as tough as nails and is damn near indestructable.

Yes, get a sparky, large tank, skid plate, hand guards, and ultra heavy duty tubes in your tires. Then go out and race.

However, that wr450 is one heavy SOB when you drop it in the 100 degree heat. You'll loose 10lbs of water weight each race and will get passed up first by everyone on a 2 stroke and then by the 250 four strokes while you are on the side of the trail catching your breath and sucking down all the fluids in your water pack.

Just stay in front of the quads! You'll be sorry if you let them catch you.

people ride whatever bike they have so you'll see everything in the race from the young kids and women on the 85's, 250's, 450's and even people on xr650's.

but you'll have more fun than you'll ever imagine... I do.

• SJMC_DON

Posted May 08, 2007 - 07:45 AM

WRs love open terrain ,or maybe their riders do ,but anyway get some good radiator guards,hand guards,and a skid plate for basics.Look into susp.work and steering dampers next.Have fun ,i hope to be doing more of this myself!

Oh yes... DEFINITELY radiator guards, I forgot to mention those, I don't know how I forgot because I certainly remember how much money I've spent on radiators :applause:

• StreetbikePimp

Posted May 08, 2007 - 09:32 AM

I've been racing an 03 WR450 for the last 3 years, and she's never dissapointed me.

It's been mentioned already, but before you do your first race. Get good quality radiator protecters, hand guards, and a skid plate. (listed in order of importance!) Not having these 3 things on the bike will cost you big money.

A bone stock YZ exhaust WILL NOT pass a 98db sound test. It might pass with a spark arrester installed.

RACE DAY TIPS; Drink lots and lots of water, and don't race over your head. Slowing down and keeping the bike on 2 wheels is a lot faster, then racing over your head and crashing alot. Picking up a WR450 sucks the life out of you pretty fast.

• fordman

Posted May 08, 2007 - 07:04 PM

thanks guys you have been alot of help.

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.