Do I really need to rejet

4 replies to this topic
  • treygreen

Posted May 05, 2007 - 11:22 AM

I am new to the sport and bought a yz450f 2006. It backfires whenever I let off the throttle. Not a horrible amount maybe four or five pops when coming down from 3/4 throttle. Is this something that is bad for the bike or performance of it. I read the rejetting section and it would seem that If I do need to do this I would go to a 45 jet. Or should I just try to turn the mix screw out some. Thanks for the help.:applause:

• Idaho_Stas

Posted May 05, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Do a search on 'jetting' and '06' in this thread and you will find more info than you want.

If it is just popping a bit when decelerating, probably not, but if it's backfiring frequently, you are running too lean.

Most folks are running a 48 or a 45 pilot w/ fuel screw out between 2 and 3 turns. Usually cleans up excessive popping and backfiring.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2007 - 12:03 PM

Some decel popping in a YZF is entirely normal, and if the bike runs well other wise, there's no reason to chase it, as long as it's not due to an abnormal condition like a stuck hot start, or an air leak in the exhaust.

Most '06's are happiest with a 45 pilot, though, and a main int the 160-165 range. Some guys will run them at 48/170, or richer, but in most cases, that's somewhat richer than necessary, IMO.

But every situation is different, too.

• treygreen

Posted May 05, 2007 - 12:26 PM

Thanks alot guys I may try to turn out the mix a little but other than that I guess I won't worry about it.

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2007 - 02:00 PM

If you go beyond 2 1/2 turns out, it's an indication that you need the next larger pilot.

Related Content

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.