does anyone use yamalube??

38 replies to this topic
  • copstop450

Posted May 04, 2007 - 12:19 PM

seems as thou everyone on here is using other oils and i was just wondering if tehres something wrong with yamalube? ive been using it in all my Yamahas in the past and i currently runnin 20w40 in my 03 450f ...with no problems or anything. just wondering ur reasons for other oils

• yami racer

Posted May 04, 2007 - 12:31 PM

I would bet that most will say the price......

• CHRIS WEAVER

Posted May 04, 2007 - 12:32 PM

I use yamahalube 20w40 in my 07 450f and I change it every 2 rides. No problems and it if fairly cheap!

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2007 - 01:47 PM

It doesn't hold its viscosity very well at all, for one thing.

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 04, 2007 - 03:49 PM

Iam using yamalube at the moment but Iam going to switch to amsoil mcf in june because I will be able to get it cheaper than yamalube and I believe by the tests Ive seen and the guys on TT that use it..... one can not afford not to use it.

• 642MX

Posted May 04, 2007 - 04:25 PM

I would bet that most will say the price......

Thats a big factor for me. I use Rotella because it works and its cheap. When you change oil every ride, its gets expensive with Amsoil, Motorex, ect...

• 642MX

Posted May 04, 2007 - 04:28 PM

one can not afford not to use it.

Sure we can. When is the last time anybody had an engine failure because of the oil breaking down? :applause:

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 04, 2007 - 04:32 PM

Sure we can. When is the last time anybody had an engine failure because of the oil breaking down? :applause:

Are you saying I should not use amsoil because it is not good?:applause:

• 642MX

Posted May 04, 2007 - 04:47 PM

Are you saying I should not use amsoil because it is not good?:applause:

No, using Amsoil is fine. Tests have shown that its a great oil, but I was just trying to make a point that cheaper oils will work too.

Its more important that you keep your oil changed than it is what oil you use. Kind of like "the best oil is clean oil".

• grayracer513

Posted May 04, 2007 - 04:50 PM

I've seen several that can only have been taken as lubrication related failures. And, since in only a small percentage of those cases was there a problem with the oil delivery system, the oil itself is the only remaining culprit.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 642MX

Posted May 04, 2007 - 04:58 PM

^^^^^ You kind of lost me on that one.....

• CaptainKnobby

Posted May 04, 2007 - 05:35 PM

He ment the oil that was in the bike that had the motor problem was caused by the oil that was used in it. The oil that was in that particular bike must have been a bad or cheap oil that didnt lube real well>>>>>like it didnt have all of the lubeing agents in it like the more expensive oils....... If you catch my drift.

• BergArabia

Posted May 04, 2007 - 05:58 PM

use good oil and change often..
Luckily you don't need very much.. :applause:

• loopsrider

Posted May 04, 2007 - 07:33 PM

I've used Yamalube on my 01 YZ426 since new. Have never used anything but Yamalube. For the first year I changed the oil at least every second ride. For the first 6 rides during break in I changed it every ride. I now do it every 2-3 rides.

VERY happy with it. Get this.....2001 426.....I have never adjusted the valve on the bike even:eek: Have never even had to get into the engine for anything. I ride the bloody thing hard also....

Yeah, yeah.......Your supposed to adjust the valves every (insert recommended hours here). But seriously....I spoke to a Yammy rep and he told me if it isn't noisy and if it starts in the first two kicks, then don't worry about it.

The bike gets ridden at least every second weekend for usually 6-8 hours a weekend, for 8 months of the year.

Needless to say I am VERY happy with Yamalube 20/40:applause:

• BergArabia

Posted May 04, 2007 - 07:47 PM

I've used Yamalube on my 01 YZ426 since new. Have never used anything but Yamalube. For the first year I changed the oil at least every second ride. For the first 6 rides during break in I changed it every ride. I now do it every 2-3 rides.

VERY happy with it. Get this.....2001 426.....I have never adjusted the valve on the bike even:eek: Have never even had to get into the engine for anything. I ride the thing bloody thing hard also....

Yeah, yeah.......Your supposed to adjust the valves every (insert recommended hours here). But seriously....I spoke to a Yammy rep and he told me if it isn't noisy and if it starts in the first two kicks, then don't worry about it.

The bike gets ridden at least every second weekend for usually 6-8 hours a weekend, for 8 months of the year.

Not to mention with the Yamaha bike I guess..
this could have been in the reliability thread.. :applause:

• PATHPOUNDER

Posted May 04, 2007 - 09:16 PM

VERY happy with it. Get this.....2001 426.....I have never adjusted the valve on the bike even:eek: Have never even had to get into the engine for anything. I ride the bloody thing hard also....

I own the same bike....I just went in to check the valves after about 100 hours of use....they were right where I left them 1 year ago...This bike is awesome..:applause:
I change my oil every 10 to 15 hours....

• KJ790

Posted May 05, 2007 - 04:45 AM

My father and I have used yamalube in all of our bikes for the past 7 years. We have also had zero engine problems since we started using it. I figure, the factory yamaha riders use it in their practice bikes ( I won't say race bikes b/c they get new engines every week). Those practice bikes get the crap beat out of them and yet they don't blow up. Seems like the oil is fine to me. It is a bit pricey, but I get it pretty cheap, so why not.

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2007 - 07:33 AM

...Seems like the oil is fine to me. It is a bit pricey, but I get it pretty cheap, so why not.

This is why not: http://www.amsoil.com/lit/g2156.pdf

Read the shear stability test starting at page 9. That's the major issue when using most oils formulated for engines in a transmission. Relatively few oil refiners and blenders have addressed this problem by using gear lube grade additives to toughen up their products. Yamalube actually didn't fare that well overall, either, but my guess is that when you decide to use a 10w-40 or 20w-50, you probably expect it to stay a 40 or 50. It don't always happen, and it doesn't take long for the break down to occur. In fact, in some cases, it happens so rapidly that even changing oil every ride doesn't prevent the oil dropping one full grade before it's changed. If you are curious or concerned about your own, do a used oil analysis. Then you'll know if this is really a problem for you or not.

I've seen several that can only have been taken as lubrication related failures. ...

You kind of lost me on that one.....

In most engine failures, pinning down the exact time line of what happened and in what order can be tricky, but some of the less catastrophic events are easier to analyze. Any failure involving metal to metal contact of a wear surface is a lube failure of one sort or other, but not all of those are that simple. An example would be a big end seizure. It may be scored and ground up, but if the roller cage broke, no oil in the world will prevent the problem.

But in some cases of cam seizure, and piston/cylinder galling, suspicions go a little deeper. I started having used oil analysis done of failed engines I worked on some years ago. Not on every one, depends on the problem. Many times the oil came back testing seriously below the listed viscosity, and in one case, a 10w-40 had broken down into a 10(?)w-18. It was an 18 wt oil at 200 degrees, when it was supposed to have been a 40.

• KJ790

Posted May 05, 2007 - 07:45 AM

Yes, I have seen that test before, but it doesn't worry me. For me yamalube has worked great and I don't change a good thing. I have had transmission failures in the past with other brand oils. I have had zero issues with yamalube in the past years. I have never needed to replace anything in a transmission or clutch on the last 14 bikes that I have owned (I have used yamaulube in the last 14 bikes only). It works for me, if it doesn't work for you then don't use it. I'm not trying to convert you. There are a lot of good oils out there, I say pick the one you like, chang eit often, and have fun riding. :applause:

• Yamaguy4Life

Posted May 05, 2007 - 09:21 AM

You can never go wrong with Big Blue. I've always used Yamalube. Never had a problem. I run it in my mower, chain saw, weed whip, basically anything. I just love the smell. I use their engine oil on the 426. It's great.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies
Forums
Photo

Snake pit oct 30th by The Anvil

Dirt Bike   Dirt Bike Regional Discussion   California
  • Hot  293 replies
Forums
Photo
Motocross

Thinking about Yamaha 250... by Arctic Pride

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  491 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.