hurts to breathe deep,laugh,sneeze

11 replies to this topic
  • korte500

Posted May 04, 2007 - 10:08 AM

went down hard in a first corner tangle with another rider. landed on right side. crawled off track, trying to regain breath, thinking that i broke some ribs. once i got my breath back, i got up and finished the moto. was pretty sore for a few days. tried to ride 4 days later, and when i came in, i was sore again, and now it hurts to breathe, laugh or sneeze. doesnt seem to be getting better as its been 6 days. im 35 and 175 lbs. ive had plenty of broken bones, and nothing seems broken. no sharp pains, although there is some pain to the touch. it it possible to just bruise a lung?

• pullin-gs

Posted May 04, 2007 - 11:38 AM

Ribs might be broke.
Does it hurt to lay on one side more than the other?

• flip18436572

Posted May 04, 2007 - 11:44 AM

Go see a Doctor and get some x-rays.

• huffster

Posted May 04, 2007 - 11:56 AM

You could have torn the cartilage between your ribs. I did that a few years ago and it took almost 3 months before it stopped hurting. Still a really good idea to go get some X-rays and make sure nothing is broken, though !

• kyle450rider

Posted May 04, 2007 - 12:19 PM

You could have torn the cartilage between your ribs. I did that a few years ago and it took almost 3 months before it stopped hurting. Still a really good idea to go get some X-rays and make sure nothing is broken, though !

did the same thing couple of years ago.It would wake me up in the middle of the night when i coughed.Very painful and annoying.

• socal_sierra

Posted May 04, 2007 - 12:31 PM

Its very possible and not all that difficult to bruise a lung, but that doesnt sound like the case. Sounds like you bruised or possibly fractured some ribs. A badly bruised rib and a fractured rib can be impossible to distinguish from one another, unless a chest x-ray is taken. Every time you breath in your ribcage expands and vice versa when you exhale, there is muscle in the intercostal spaces(space between ribs) that is easy to bruise and even strain. But i would reccomend getting some x-rays if it doesnt seem to get better.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • El Marko

Posted May 04, 2007 - 12:56 PM

ribs or cartilage. count on it

• skidlid

Posted May 05, 2007 - 03:38 AM

I crashed 5 years ago, had the wind knocked out like I had never experienced before. I also broke my At hospital I told them I had some pain in my rib area. They set my collarbone and let me go on my way because they said they do not do much for ribs. Went on vacation the next day but everytime I laughed, sneezed our layed down I had pain in my chest rib area. I went back to the doctor when I returned home 6 days later and had xrays. The xrays showed my left lung was too small. It had been punctured by my collarbone. Long story but it could by a damaged lung?

• str8away

Posted May 05, 2007 - 06:18 AM

bruised ribs. torn cartilage would normally be accompanied w/ sharp, acute pains. it'll be a couple months b4 the soreness is totally gone. riding will be depend on your personal threshold for pain. not that they would treat it much different if there is a fracture, but i would get an x-ray just 2 be sure. i imagine the act of sitting up in bed also brings much discomfort.

• Ruffus

Posted May 05, 2007 - 07:13 AM

where exactly do you feel the pain? I fractured 3 vertebrae between the shoulder blades & breathing hurt, coughing was like cruel punishment. took a cat scan to see the damage clearly, didn't show up on regular x-ray for some reason :applause:

• korte500

Posted May 05, 2007 - 09:49 AM

thanks for the info guys. when i breathe deep, it hurts just under my right shoulder, on front and back. underneath armpit is still a little tender. yep, trying to get out of bed needs to be thought about first, as using stomach muscles is out of question. i can however, move my shoulder in a baseball throwing kind of way. almost sneezed on the way home from dinner last night, and kind of did, and that almost sent me off the road. just when i thought that it was getting better. I really think that i could go riding, painwise, but the breathing deep, is where its hurting, and making me a little nervous.
thanks again. if its not better by monday, which would be just over a week from time of crushing, ill get it checked.

• socal_sierra

Posted May 06, 2007 - 03:27 PM

yea its always good to get checked out. But even if it is bruised ribs prepare to be sore for a good month. Ribs are a pain in the butt when it comes to healing due to the fact they are always moving and cannot be immobilized very well.

Related Content

Wiki
Core Training - Raines Racing Fitness Fact - last post by Jason Raines

Core Training - Raines Racing Fitness Fact

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Stuck WFO by DirtRider500R

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   Dirt Bike Pictures & Video
  • Hot  53 replies
Forums
Photo

how much weight can your LRP lose? by jeffjcalweb

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF250 L/M
  • 5 replies
Wiki
No More Blistered Hands! - last post by mxwink509

No More Blistered Hands!

Wiki Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

Serious about health & fitness? by Bryan Bosch

General   General Forums   Health & Fitness
  • 1 reply

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.