Dents in bottom frame rails???

9 replies to this topic
  • Climber

Posted May 04, 2007 - 06:14 AM

This is on a 426 so it is a chromoly frame. How big of a dent before the frame is significantly weakend.

In this case, it is on the bottom after the bend from the down tubes, right before the foot peg. It is not across any welds. I runs about 3 inches long and about 1/8" to 3/16" deep.

BTW, this is not mine. It is for sale for about 1800. I believe in glide plates for this very reason.

Thanks

• SXP

Posted May 04, 2007 - 06:49 AM

This is on a 426 so it is a chromoly frame. How big of a dent before the frame is significantly weakend.

In this case, it is on the bottom after the bend from the down tubes, right before the foot peg. It is not across any welds. I runs about 3 inches long and about 1/8" to 3/16" deep.

BTW, this is not mine. It is for sale for about 1800. I believe in glide plates for this very reason.

Thanks

The lower frame rails, especially around the footpeg extensions that is not covered by the skid plate, looks like swiss cheese on one of my WR400's. Doesn't seem to have had any effect on the bike though.

• torqueme

Posted May 04, 2007 - 09:22 AM

The stock (or any) "glide" plates do not protect that part of the frame or water pump or ignition. Bought mine with a similar size dent as you describe & put a full skid plate on it the next day. No problems with mine & you can't even see it now with the bash plate installed. I just dented the downtube between the tank & footpeg last weekend racing (fell right on top of a pointed rock) can't hide that one-just glad it wasn't my leg.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 04, 2007 - 10:12 AM

It shouldn't hurt the integrity of the frame at all, I wouldn't sweat it.

• Climber

Posted May 05, 2007 - 06:14 AM

Thanks for the replies. I might try to get him down some more on the price.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • 4literranger485

Posted May 05, 2007 - 07:15 AM

thanks a lot dude! now i looked at mine and there all dented up too, they we're fine before you said anything :applause: but i think i'm gonna order one of those beefy looking TT skidplates, i could see it being a problem on my 426 since the oil is in that frame

• KJ790

Posted May 05, 2007 - 07:27 AM

The oil is only in the part of the frame under the head tube. The bottom frame rails are hollow.

• grayracer513

Posted May 05, 2007 - 08:06 AM

The oil is onlt in the part of the frame under the head tube. The bottom frame rails are hollow.

Which is good, since they also have holes in them. :applause:

A dent in the cradle tubes no larger than 30% of the tube diameter is not an issue.

• ncmountainman

Posted May 05, 2007 - 09:09 AM

late model yamaha steel frames are not chromoly...just mild steel:thumbsup:

• Wiz636

Posted May 05, 2007 - 06:51 PM

I've got the TT skidplate on my 426 and it has taken a beating! The thing is bent, banged, and gouged...hate to think what the frame would look like without it.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

Megabomb Fitment by 288yz450

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • 1 reply
Forums
Photo

YZ450FX OR YZ450F by MESSMAKER

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   YZ 400/426/450
  • Hot  30 replies
Forums
Photo

Chubby dad, looking at bikes , First trip to the orange/black forum ! by Slow_ride

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   KTM   250-530 EXC/MXC/SXC/XC-W/XCR-W (4-Strokes)
  • Hot  28 replies
Forums
Photo

Should I buy this bike? help....... by Numsa Hul

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   What bike should I buy?
  • 10 replies
Forums
Photo

Is it worth it? (Cam and High compression piston) by macgi77

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Honda   CRF 150/230 F/L
  • Hot  36 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.