hour meter?

20 replies to this topic
  • hi everybody

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:29 PM

hey everybody..

so today I picked up a brand new 07 450(yaaaay!) and also picked up a Hardline hour/tach meter.....only to have the mechanic there tell me that it wont work. he said because the coil is built into the cap, that those kind of meters wont work....but after asking a friend who has the (im pretty sure) same exact model meter..AND same bike....says it will. and I have also seen tons of thumpertalk guys with it on there YZ450s...soo.....will this hour meter not work? or am I just being told false information? thanks!

• cowboyona426

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:31 PM

TT has this handy little feature called search... make it your friend :applause: Yes the meter will work, you just wrap the lead wire around the cap of the coil. I have a pic of my install of a SenDec on the coil, but yours should install the same. I'll try to find the pic.

• cowboyona426

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:34 PM

Here you go- clicky

• hi everybody

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:37 PM

alright...thanks a load.

and my bad on the search...:applause:

• cowboyona426

Posted May 03, 2007 - 09:45 PM

We'll forgive you, but just this once.

• kyle450rider

Posted May 04, 2007 - 08:41 AM

another quick tip on your hourmeter.Use velcro with the sticky back on it to mount it.That way if you ever purchase a new bike you can take it with you and not have 2 holes in the frame.

• Kyle Prior

Posted May 04, 2007 - 02:14 PM

another quick tip on your hourmeter.Use velcro with the sticky back on it to mount it.That way if you ever purchase a new bike you can take it with you and not have 2 holes in the frame.

I made my holes bigger, and zip-tied it to the frame :applause:

• Florida_426

Posted May 06, 2007 - 12:10 PM

Don't see too many of them but I sprung for the Dubach Research mount that goes underneath the nut on top of the top clamp. ice and sanitary, better looking than the 2 sided tape I used for so long.

Bill

• hi everybody

Posted May 06, 2007 - 06:54 PM

I just used the two sided tape that came with it..and put it up by the frame by the steering head...so far so good!

• cablemonkey334

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:02 PM

i mounted mine under the pro-taper bar pad an cut out the pad and flushed mounted it. then cut out around the lcd display looks very trick.

Visit the ThumperTalk Store for the lowest prices on motorcycle / ATV parts and accessories - Guaranteed
  • CaptainKnobby

Posted May 06, 2007 - 07:06 PM

Look how mine is mounted...... You can see it on pics of captainknobbys yz450f on the post.

• cablemonkey334

Posted May 06, 2007 - 08:06 PM

not bad but mine is sano i ll post a pic in the morning.

• Yamahafan

Posted May 07, 2007 - 05:48 AM

Don't see too many of them but I sprung for the Dubach Research mount that goes underneath the nut on top of the top clamp. ice and sanitary, better looking than the 2 sided tape I used for so long.

Bill

I saw somebody use a similar approach to the Dr D, but they attached the bracket to the top mount on the gas tank. This looked more streamlined and out of the way in case of a crash.

• cablemonkey334

Posted May 07, 2007 - 10:04 AM

this is a pic of my hour meter under the bar pad

Posted Image :applause:

• greentyler

Posted May 13, 2007 - 08:43 PM

WOW! I'm picking up a new bike this week, and this is exactly how i'm mounting my hour meter!!!

Thanks for the idea!

• fetz518

Posted May 14, 2007 - 05:48 AM

Am I the only person that used two little zipties to mount it to the wires running down the right side of the frame? It works great and it's removable.

• neevothespaniel

Posted May 14, 2007 - 01:41 PM

this is a pic of my hour meter under the bar pad

Looks trick. But what happens if you headbutt the bar pad in a crash. Wouldn't you smash the hour meter a bit :applause:

• cablemonkey334

Posted May 14, 2007 - 07:01 PM

no worse than being on the frame an gettin t -boned , theres a chance it could be hit anywhere, its clean an easy.

• tnl

Posted May 14, 2007 - 08:43 PM

Am I the only person that used two little zipties to mount it to the wires running down the right side of the frame? It works great and it's removable.

Me too!:applause:

• Kyle Prior

Posted May 15, 2007 - 06:49 PM

Posted Image
I mounted mine in that little open area in the frame, and i really like it there. Its nice and protected... Sorry for the crappy pic.

Related Content

Forums
Photo

yz250x vs 450 4t comparisons (preferably desert riding) needed by JakeNorthrupYZ450F

Dirt Bike   Make / Model Specific   Yamaha   Yamaha 2-Stroke
  • 9 replies
Forums
Photo

First Hare scramble tips by dhend8

Dirt Bike   General Dirt Bike Forums   General Dirt Bike Discussion
  • Hot  33 replies
Reviews

Yamaha YZ450F 2017 by Chris.GVS

Yamaha YZ450F 2017
  • - - - - -
  • 0 reviews
Wiki
WR Camshaft Swap Info - last post by jamesm113

WR Camshaft Swap Info

Articles
  • 0 replies
Forums
Photo

James Stewart back on a YZ450F by YamaLink

Dirt Bike   Special Interest Forums   Pro Racing
  • Hot  47 replies

x

Join Our Community!

Even if you don't want to post, registered members get access to tools that make finding & following the good stuff easier.

If you enjoyed reading about "" here in the ThumperTalk archive, you'll LOVE our community. Come join ThumperTalk today!

The views and opinions expressed on this page are strictly those of the author, and have not been reviewed or approved by ThumperTalk.